10 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Edited Jul 16, 2023, 22:52
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 July 2023 CE
Jul 16, 2023, 22:38
This week I am slightly peeved at myself. The wonderful 'discovery' of the polishing stone in the aptly named 'Valley Of Stones', a special little place with a glacial run of sarsens out in the wilds of Dorset. We visited on a very wet March day and found said stone, and I commented about how smooth it was to my other half never one thinking about the possibility of it being a 'polissoir'. Mind you, if I had, I probably would have thought it was already known about and said nowt. Doh! Prehistory nut, and I never stumble across any bloody thing!

The Groundhogs - Split
Not overly familiar with the Groundhogs, which is shown by me looking down at my music player after thinking several parts of this were latter day Billy Childish recordings, but enjoyed the album on the whole.

Pere Ubu - Trouble On Big Beat Street

Creepshow - Yawning Abyss

Cope - Rite at Ya

Slayer - World Painted Red
Found this in a local library for 20p, seemed a shame not to pick it up, and it's generally a decent listen. Not Reign In Blood, but deffo has some of those tasty elements. Also found a copy of Raw Power for 20p as well, so that brings my Raw Power collection to 10 copies. Was gonna give it to my nephew, but I apparently already gave him a copy some time back. Maybe I'll leave it in a public place for someone to find?

The Orb and Chocolate Hills - Yams From The Chocolate Triangle

Big Black - Sound Of Impact (live)

Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Mostly after reading one of those 33 1/3 books about it. Certainly helped me look out for details in the tunes I hadn't noticed previously.

Currently reading the Karl Bartos Kraftwerk biog, The Sound Of The Machine. Enjoyable stuff, albeit the writing is in a suitably restrained 'Teutonic' stylee. He seems remarkably ego free, and has a wonderfully understated sense of humour. Karl is a much more accomplished classical musician than I ever realised from his Kraftwerk output.

Have a better one!

Unsung Forum Index