2388 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 July 2023 CE
Jul 16, 2023, 05:31
Tangerine Dream - EXIT

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Pink Floyd - Animals

Supertramp - st

Johnny Winter - Texas '63-'68

The Wailers - 1963-1972 Compilation (discs 1 & 2 of 4)

Arlo Guthrie - Running Down the Road

Sun Ra - Cosmos

Blind Boy Fuller - Truckin' My Blues Away

Casey Bill Weldon / Kokomo Arnold - Bottleneck Guitar Trendsetters of the 1930s

The Doors - L.A. Woman

The Holy Modal Rounders - The Moray Eels Eat The Holy Modal Rounders

Conrad Schnitzler - Control

Rush - Caress of Steel

Rush - 2112 (side 2)

Rush - Grace Under Pressure

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - The Legendary A&M Sessions

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Live 1966-67
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 July 2023 CE
Jul 16, 2023, 07:05
Led Zeppelin - II
"Bring It On Home" live at Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music, 1970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9WEqWc74QQ

Pink Fairies - What A Bunch Of Sweeties

Rush - 2112

Scorpions - Taken By Force
"Sales Of Charon" live Musikladen TV show, 1978. Uli Jon Roth :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs5NOrYYV2s

Davy Spillane - Atlantic Bridge

DVD

Ken Russell's bonkers "Lisztomania". Here's Rick Wakeman's bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOKrSPFEK4g
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Jul 16, 2023, 09:19
Jul 16, 2023, 08:59
I never felt magic crazy as this:

Spooky Tooth ‘You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw’ - well, you could get away with album titles like that fifty years ago. Happily the music contained within is much subtler, epitomising the powerful, yet tuneful, hard rock with a gospel edge that this criminally underrated band purveyed though many lineup changes. Mike Harrison RIP;

Dyble Longdon ‘Between A Breath And A Breath’ - that both the gifted singers behind this excellent 2020 recording were soon to leave us adds extra poignancy to this lovely record. Judy never sang more sweetly than here. This is currently available from Burning Shed at a ludicrously low price if anyone’s interested;

Soft Machine ‘Other Doors’ - the authenticity of their name may be a moot point this far down the line but, whatever, this is a damn fine jazz rock record by a band of supremely able musicians with plenty of echt Canterbury Scene history between them. And by including great reworkings of ‘Joy Of A Toy’ (from the first Softs’ LP) and ‘Penny Hitch’ (from ‘Seven’), they’ve got my attention anyway;

Sassafras ‘Riding High’ - one of many “old wave” bands of the immediate pre-punk era that have been undeservedly forgotten. Imagine a Welsh Poco with Allmanseque twin guitars and you’ll get the idea. They could pen a decent song or six too, as on their third (and sadly, final) album;

The Ruts ‘The Best Of’ - I underrated this band in their own time, thinking them an inferior version of The Clash. How wrong I was. In fact, their music has dated better than most of The Clash’s has. IMHO of course. In the context of which…

Sham 69 ‘Tell Us The Truth’ … my love of which has no real logic - other than well, I just do - and happy teenage times;

Sweet ‘Sweet Fanny Adams’ - listening to this today, it’s hard to comprehend just how far ahead of their game The Sweet (definite article included as that’s how we knew them) really were back in 1974. This is an authentic template for all of the NWOBHM bands that emerged half a decade later. How sad that many only remember them for their Little Willy*;

Nick Drake ‘Bryter Layter’ - well, because it’s there;

UB40 ‘The Earth Dies Screaming’ 12” 45 - so ubiquitous have UB40 become with mega-selling cod reggae covers, it’s easy to forget the creativity and individuality that distinguished their early records. This is a fine example: a mournful, beautiful bass line played a thousand times over whilst all sorts of sounds and vibes weave in and around it. Just fabulous;

Art Ensemble of Chicago ‘Full Force’ - the AEC’s ECM albums are generally more accessible than their earlier Actuel titles, but that doesn’t mean they’re easy listening. Ain’t no-one else sounds like this;

Dave Holland Big Band ‘What Goes Around’ - intelligent, modern big band sounds from a masterly collective led by the ever-searching Holland, surely one of the UK’s most distinguished jazz exports. The title track is a must-hear 17 minute epic;

Haydn: String Quartets Op.33 nos.1 - 3 (Chiaroscuro Quartet) - this has rightly gleaned a rave review in the latest issue of Gramophone. There’s sensitivity, verve and character in every bar of this music and the Chiaroscuros miss nothing. I could almost see their armboards’ resin coming out my speakers, so energetic is their playing in the finale of No.1;

Beethoven: Symphony no.4 (Verbier Fest CO/Gabor Takacs-Nagy) - suitably fleet reading of LvB’s happiest symphony, from an attractive, newly-issued box of all nine;

Roussel: Symphony no.3 (Orch de la Suisse Romande/Ernest Ansermet) - Albert Roussel’s symphonic muse was as individual as Sibelius and as purely French as his near contemporary was Finnish. This is the best of his four symphonies, superbly realised in a 1956 recording which sonically defies its age;

Dvorak: Symphony no.9 (BRSO/Rafael Kubelik) - performances don’t come much more idiomatic than this. Kubelik applies a suitably Bohemian approach to his fellow countryman’s music and in this Orfeo live recording gets the balance between drama and lyricism just right. I often consider that the underlying doom of this work has been understated by its popularity, but not here;

Delibes: Coppelia and Sylvia extracts (OSR/Ansermet) - more vintage Ansermet, this time in delightful French ballet music. This is just, well… right;

Schumann, orch. Glazunov: Carnival
(OSR/Ansermet) - I’m not usually a fan of orchestral versions of piano works but this is a veritable party set to music;

Ligeti: Atmospheres etc (Abbado, Boulez, Atherton etc) - great one-stop, single CD sampler of some of Ligeti’s best music. There are a couple of long organ pieces which could easily masquerade as kosmische musik, so radical is the manipulation of the organ’s stops and electronics. This is a seriously enjoyable disc for anyone interested in the outer reaches of “serious” music. Just four sobs from an amazin’ online retailer (and no, I’m not on commission);

Beethoven: Piano Sonata in A, Op.101 (Emil Gilels) - as close as I think I’ll ever hear the true soul of this perfect music. The slow movement is just transcendental.

(* This appalling quip comes - with apologies - courtesy of the Are You Being Served Appreciation Society and its Carry On affiliates.)

What have we got?

Vibelicious regards, dudes

Dave x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Jul 16, 2023, 10:26
Blue Oyster Cult- Agent Of Fortune
Blue Oyster Cult- Mirrors
The MC5- High Time
Iron Maiden- Somewhere Back In Time: The Best of 1980-1989
Wishbone Ash- S/T
Little Feat- Dixie Chicken
Hall & Oates- Private Eyes
Sandie Shaw- Reviewing The Situation
Sextile- Push
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Edited Jul 16, 2023, 10:28
Jul 16, 2023, 10:27
C.O.B - Spirit Of Love / Moyshe McStiff & The Tartan Lancers Of The Sacred Heart

Cocteau Twins - Garlands / Peppermint Pig (EP) / Head Over Heels / Sunburst & Snowblind (EP)

Miles Davis - Workin' / Steamin' / Greatest Hits

Make Eitzel - Don't Be A Stranger / Hey Mr Ferryman

Faust - S/t / Faust Tapes

Josephine Foster - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing / This Coming Gladness

Gong family - Mother (Gilli Smyth) / She Made The World Magenta (Mother Gong) / Electric Shiatsu (Goddess T) / O Amsterdam (MG)

Japan - Quiet Life / Gentlemen Take Polaroids

Joy Division - Closer / Les Bains Douches

Kaleidoscope (US) - Bacon From Mars (comp LP)

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon / Lizard / Islands

Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine / Computer World

William Orbit - Strange Cargo III

Psychic TV - Towards The Infinite Beat / Beyond The Infinite Beat / Al-Or-Al / Direction Ov Travel (with Z'ev)
Alaura - Sacred Dreams

Nina Simone - Jazz Masters 17

Small Faces - Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake

Patti Smith - Horses / Radio Ethiopia

David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - The First Ray / Damaged / Approaching Silence

Throbbing Gristle - Special Treatment / Editions ... Frankfurt ... Berlin / Rafters

Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology / Flock (Deluxe)

XTC - 25 O'Clock (Dukes Of Stratosphear) / Skylarking / Psonic Psunspot (DOS)

Erik Satie - Piano Music (Peter Lawson)

V/A - Neu Decade (Mojo)
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Edited Jul 16, 2023, 12:31
Jul 16, 2023, 12:31
Not all strictly in the last week, but thereabouts. Time’s fluid anyway, especially when I'm in the shed painting.

Lords Of Form: ‘Flying Chromium Society’ and '23 Strangers’

Kölsch-Schickert-Erdenreich: ‘Sigurd’

Crazyhead: ‘Some Kinda Fever’ and ‘Live At Kozfest 2019’

The Cure: ‘Mixed Up’

Jacknife Lee: ‘Punk Rock High Roller’

Globular: ‘Holobiont’

Craven Faults: ‘Standers’

Bending Shapes: Uncomfortable Songs About Life

Herbie Hancock: ‘Future 2 Future’

Pram: ‘Across The Meridian’ and ‘Dark Island’

Underworld: ‘DubNoBassWithMyHeadMan’ and ‘Live at Glastonbuty 2016 (boot)’

Vanishing Twin: ‘Ookii Gekkou’

The Orchestra: ‘Look Away Now’

Seaming To: ‘Seaming’ and ’The Remix Album’

Red Snapper: ‘Key’

Julia Holter: ‘In The Same Room’
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Edited Jul 16, 2023, 13:47
Jul 16, 2023, 13:35
The Incredible String Band - The Incredible String Band
The Incredible String Band - The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion

Traffic - Mr Fantasy

The Monkees - Headquarters
The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Jon & Vangelis - Page Of Life

Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money

Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner & The Empty Stage

Klaus Schulze - X
Klaus Schulze - Dune

Elton John - Rock Of The Westies

Eurythmics - In The Garden

The Beach Boys - That's Why God Made The Radio
The Beach Boys - Live: 50th Anniversary Tour

Yes - Relayer
Yes - Going For The One

The Cosmic Jokers - The Cosmic Jokers
The Cosmic Jokers - Galactic Supermarket
The Cosmic Jokers - Planeten Sit-In

The Doors - LA Woman

Jefferson Airplance - Another Missile Is Flying (soniclovenoize recreation)
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jul 16, 2023, 15:12
First 2 Discs of The Fall's Complete Peel Sessions

The Doors - LA Woman

The Cure - Wish. Over familiar with this one and didn't bother seeing it out

The Brianjonestown Massacre - Revelation

The Amazing - Gentle Stream

Ten Years After - A Space in Time. Real fav of mine. Can't be bothered listening to any other Alvin Lee

Temple of Sol - V/A

Squid - Bright Green Field

Sexwitch - Sexwitch

Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation - Mighty Rearranger

Riot Season Records Sampler - Fuck 2020. Plenty on this to recommend itself besides Acid Mothers Temple like Black Helium

The Disciples - Infinite Density of Dub

Ditz - The Great Regression

Also loads of boots of sometimes obscure music recorded at South Western Venues by my friend John who is no longer with us, at gigs I went to like:

The Greatest thing since Powdered Milk
The Sarah Marie Band
Marissa Nadler (not so obscure)
Jeffrey Lewis
New bums
Red River Dialect
MV & EE
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 16, 2023, 21:52
I Trawl The Megahertz – Prefab Sprout
I missed out on this when it was initially released as a Paddy McAloon album after which it was unavailable/expensive for some years. Thankfully it got re-released a few years back, now credited to PS which hopefully brought it to wider audience as it it really is a quite remarkable set. The lengthy opening track is a thing of wonder.

Jeopardy – The Sound
Shock Of Daylight – The Sound
I played Heyday and it still sounded as great as ever in a Teardrops with Pistols power kinda way, so I had to listen to some of their other stuff. I remember initially being disappointed with some of the other numbers on their debut LP, Jeopardy, because they weren't like Heyday but that soon passed. They weren't just some one trick pony. Shock Of Daylight, the mini-album from 1984, is really special, too, not least the beautiful if almost defeatist track Winter.

Wraith – Teeth Of The Sea
I didn't play this much when I first got it, but it's one of those albums that sounds great now that I've gone back to it. Playing it a lot at the moment.

The Sin Of Pride – The Undertones
Well I hadn't heard this in a long time! It's not all great but I admire them for not just being content with re-hashing their first album (as great as it is). I'd forgotten all about Love Before Romance which I think I first heard on a live TV performance. And Love Parade was a great single that really should have done better.

Also...
Red – Black Uhuru

Peggy Suicide – Julian Cope

Standers – Craven Faults

Fuse - EBTG

Punkt - Faust

Sleepless - Immersion

People Get Ready: The Best of Curtis Mayfield's Impressions – The Impressions

American Love Call – Durand Jones & the Indications

For Ever - Jungle

S/T – Killing Joke

Kiwanauka – Michael Kiwanuka

Somebody's Knocking – Mark Lanegan Band

Roisin Machine – Roisin Murphy

Vertigo Days – The Notwist

S/T – The Ramones

XL1 – Pete Shelley

Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel

Fear Of Music – Talking Heads

Racing The Storm – Emiliana Torrini, The Colourist Orchestra
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Edited Jul 16, 2023, 22:52
Jul 16, 2023, 22:38
This week I am slightly peeved at myself. The wonderful 'discovery' of the polishing stone in the aptly named 'Valley Of Stones', a special little place with a glacial run of sarsens out in the wilds of Dorset. We visited on a very wet March day and found said stone, and I commented about how smooth it was to my other half never one thinking about the possibility of it being a 'polissoir'. Mind you, if I had, I probably would have thought it was already known about and said nowt. Doh! Prehistory nut, and I never stumble across any bloody thing!

The Groundhogs - Split
Not overly familiar with the Groundhogs, which is shown by me looking down at my music player after thinking several parts of this were latter day Billy Childish recordings, but enjoyed the album on the whole.

Pere Ubu - Trouble On Big Beat Street

Creepshow - Yawning Abyss

Cope - Rite at Ya

Slayer - World Painted Red
Found this in a local library for 20p, seemed a shame not to pick it up, and it's generally a decent listen. Not Reign In Blood, but deffo has some of those tasty elements. Also found a copy of Raw Power for 20p as well, so that brings my Raw Power collection to 10 copies. Was gonna give it to my nephew, but I apparently already gave him a copy some time back. Maybe I'll leave it in a public place for someone to find?

The Orb and Chocolate Hills - Yams From The Chocolate Triangle

Big Black - Sound Of Impact (live)

Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Mostly after reading one of those 33 1/3 books about it. Certainly helped me look out for details in the tunes I hadn't noticed previously.

Currently reading the Karl Bartos Kraftwerk biog, The Sound Of The Machine. Enjoyable stuff, albeit the writing is in a suitably restrained 'Teutonic' stylee. He seems remarkably ego free, and has a wonderfully understated sense of humour. Karl is a much more accomplished classical musician than I ever realised from his Kraftwerk output.

Have a better one!
Unsung Forum Index