Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 May 2023 CE
May 15, 2023, 22:50
Dog in fog wrote:
garerama wrote:
Dog in fog wrote:

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
"After All" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXewmtDGQFQ

Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney

Nice to see "After All" singled out. That is the great unsung Bowie song - I rate it as his best and TMWSTW as his best album when it's not Low. Great to see Trees sitting next to that too - damn fine album!

They're both superb Bowie albums, for sure, but my Top 2 have to be 'Images 1966-1967' and 'Hunky Dory'. Images was an early 70s compilation, an extension of his first album - an older sister of my best friend up the road had it.

As young girls of 8 or 9, we'd play this album to death, not only learning all the lyrics but creating mini dramas for each song (She's Got Medals being a memorable 'play' ;-)). Along with the cartoons on the gatefold sleeve, it was (and is) such a child-friendly album, though London Boys gave me my first inkling of seedy, urban goings on.

"There's a special place in the rhubarb fields, underneath the leaves,
It's a secret place and adults aren't allowed there, Mr. Grownup,
Go away, sir..." from There Is A Happy Land.

Yes, I have that Images double LP, it is indeed a fine collection and will play it in preference to the debut for all the other bits. That gravedigger song is one of the strangest things he's ever done (it's on the debut too).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index