Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 June 2021 CE

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 June 2021 CE
Jun 14, 2021, 20:08
Star King - Marc Bolan & T.Rex
RDS release. ‘Working’ versions, etc. Not for the casual fan I guess.

Live In Stuttgart 1975 - Can
Can as an instrumental four piece. Some great grooves.

Kicking Against The Pricks - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Includes great covers of The Carnival Is Over and All Tomorrow’s Parties, two songs by groups that I have loved at different times of my life (The Seekers and the Velvets obviously).

Infinite Density Of Dub - The Disciples
Took a bit of a punt on this re-issued 90’s dub album and on the strength of one play it's pretty decent.

Mamouna - Bryan Ferry
Nothing I say is going to change the mind of those folk that think that Ferry/Roxy Music died a creative death sometime around 1975, but though I prefer the earlier stuff I also like a lot of the later releases to varying degrees, too. OK, you could say that he has gone further and further up a post-Avalon cul-de-sac where everything gets more and more polished and, er, ‘tasteful’ (how I hate using that word!). But I reckon this (from 1994) is one of his best solo sets with tracks like The 39 Steps having a really nice groove that could go on much longer as far as I’m concerned. There’s a small army playing on each track, mind. 39 Steps has 5 (yes five!) guitarists, including Robin Trower and Nile Rodgers, two bassists as well as Eno on, er, ‘Sounds (Sonic Emphasis’).

Kings Left Behind - Ikebe Shakedown
The gloriously retro soulish instrumental, Unqualified, was probably my favourite single last year, so I thought take a punt on the 2019 album it came from. And I’m not disappointed!

Vertigo Days - The Notwist
Really strong return from one of my fave acts of the past 20 years or so.

Also…
Width Of A Circle - David Bowie

Drinking Gasoline - Cabaret Voltaire

Yeti Season - El Michels Affair

Transparent Things / Different Blades From The Same Pair Of Scissors - Fujiya & Miyagi
S/T - Fujiya & Miyagi

Cruelty Without Beauty - Soft Cell

Unsung Forum Index