Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 June 2021 CE
Jun 13, 2021, 05:12
Pink Floyd - More

Skip James - 1930 Sessions (Yazoo)

Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast

Grateful Dead - Blues For Allah

The Guess Who - American Woman DE with The Way They Were

Jorge Reyes - Ek-Tunkul

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (alternate version)

1. We Love You
2. Dandelion
3. Citadel
4. In Another Land
5. 2000 Man
6. She's a Rainbow
7. The Lantern
8. 2000 Light Years From Home
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 June 2021 CE
Jun 13, 2021, 11:23
Boards Of Canada - Old Tunes Vol 1 & 2

The Buzzcocks - Love Bites

Cocteau Twins - Treasure / Victorialand / The Moon & The Melodies (with Harold Budd) / Stars & Topsoil

Leonard Cohen - Songs Of ...

Coil - Angelic Conversations / Musick To Play In The Dark 1 & 2

Julian Cope - Semi-Illegal On The Edge Of Culture

Nick Drake - Time Of No Reply / Made To Love Magic

Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon / Neroli / New Space Music

Family - Music In A Doll's House / Best Of (70s Reprise LP)

Astrud Gilberto - The Astrud Gilberto Album / The Shadow Of Your Smile

Peter Hammill - Over / The Future Now / pH7

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything / Loveless / E.Ps 1988-91 / m.b.v.

Bill Nelson - Getting The Holy Ghost Across / Living For The Sprangled Moment / Chance Encounters In The Garden Of Delights / Map Of Dreams

Martin Newell - The Off White Album / The Spirit Cage / A Summer Tarimund
Cleaners From Venus - Penny Novellete

Spirit - S/t

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon / Phaedra

Julie Tippetts - Sunset Glow

Keith Tippett Group - Dedicated To You But You Weren't Listening
Centipede - Septober Energy

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other / H To He Who Am The Only One

David Virelles - Continuum

Robert Wyatt - 1982-1984

V/A - Crystalized: Celebrating 15 Years Of Rocket Recordings
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jun 13, 2021, 12:24
Jun 13, 2021, 12:23
Faust ‘The Faust Tapes’* - whatever else you may think of him, Richard Branson deserves a knighthood for once releasing this wonderful LP for 45p. My personal realisation that there was a world far beyond Mungo Jerry, Slade and T.Rex*. Oh, and Deep Purple’s third album too (my old Unsung review refers);
Faust ‘71 Minutes of Faust’ - another of the £5 Faust bargains currently available from ReR’s website while final stocks last, this is an excellent supplement to the aforesaid LP with more unique music (‘Knochentanz’, ‘Baby’ and ‘Lieber Herr Deutschland’ for example, really rock - in a Faust way) and revised takes on things you’ll know from years before. But am I alone in finding the primal groove of ‘Munic/Yesterday’ akin to the Softs’ ‘We Did It Again’?
Faust ‘BBC Sessions+’ - invaluable supplement to the early albums with some otherwise unrecorded music and a great alt take of ‘Krautrock’;
Paul Weller ‘Fat Pop’ - ace, uplifting new album from a dude who makes it sound so easy. We take him too easily for granted, we really do;
Paul Weller ‘On Sunset Remixes’ - radical takes on five songs from last year’s ‘On Sunset’ opus. Weller’s on rude form at the moment;
Pat Travers ‘Makin’ Magic’ - proof that it wasn’t just the new wave creating a rumble back in ‘77. Hip-shakin’ rock’n’roll at its bestest;
David Clayton-Thomas S/T - his second self-titled LP from 1973 (on RCA) is a distinct improvement on the first one, featuring more of his own songs and a stronger vocal performance;
Traffic S/T - there’s something uniquely timeless about this record which makes it sound more modern to me now than it did when I first heard it as a teenager back in 1975, when it was already seven years old! The contrasts between Dave Mason’s feel good pop and Winwood/Capaldi’s moodier, headier fayre make the album what is. That these guys were barely out of their teens at the time is little short of miraculous;
The Beatles ‘Sgt Pepper’ - which I believe has become relatively unsung over the years when it remains if not the Fabs’ most enjoyable record, certainly their most inventive and influential one;
Deep Purple 'Come Hell Or High Water' - watched this on Sky Arts the other night, and rather enjoyed it, even if the soon to leave Herr Blackmore is clearly on bored autopilot. What a shame, because Mk II's final album (the aptly named 'Battle Rages On') was - and is - an vastly underrated album in Purple's oeuvre;
Keith Jarrett ‘The Celestial Hawk’ - a piano concerto in all but name, with some delightful, lyrical moments in its wannabe Rachmaninov kind of way. There are many worse ways to spend forty minutes;
Helen Charlston, Michael Craddock & Alexander Soares ‘Isolation Songbook’ - a Covid-inspired song cycle by fifteen contemporary composers, proving that genuine creativity can thrive in even the most restrictive of circumstances. This is truly an absorbing and rewarding listen, superbly performed throughout;
Arnold Cooke: Organ Sonata no.1 (Daniel Cook) - excellent rendition of a little-known but distinctive English organ work from 1971, showcasing the exceptional colours of the Willis organ of St. Bees Priory, Cumbria;
Bach: Cello Suite no.6 in D, BWV 1012 (Philip Higham) - Bach’s final and finest work for solo cello, beautifully played by a young Scottish virtouso on a modern instrument. The Allemande is particularly moving;
Brahms: Piano Concerto no.1 (Solomon/Philharmonia/Rafael Kubelik) - powerful and dramatic interpretation by pianist and conductor alike on this half-forgotten early LP from 1952;
Brahms: Symphony no.3 (Budapest Fest Orch/Ivan Fischer) - long awaited final disc in Fischer’s Brahms cycle is typical of the series: measured, serene and thoughtful, if a little lacking in heft;
Sibelius: Symphony no.7 (Oregon SO/James de Priest) - Sibelius’ compact, single movement symphony in a unique performance that emphasises its romantic elements;
Mendelssohn: Symphony no.5 ‘Reformation’ (Detroit SO/Paul Paray) - still good sounding Mercury recording despite being over six decades old;
Tchaikovsky: Capriccio italien; Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.3 (with Solomon); Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.6* (BBC SO or LSO*/Sir Adrian Boult) - classic recordings from the 1940s, and a reminder that Boult was so much more than an idiomatic interpreter of Elgar and Holst;
Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.3 ‘Pastoral’ (BBC SO/Martyn Brabbins) - sensitive, perfectly poised reading of this evocative score;
Messiaen: Catalogue d’oiseaux (Hakon Austbo) - how Messiaen managed to recreate birdsong in its environment using a conventional piano keyboard is a thing of wonder, and it’s faithfully realised in this magnificent set;
Beethoven: String Quartet Op.59 no.2 ‘Rasumovsky’ & Bartok: String Quartet no.3 (Juilliard Quartet) - fine new recording by current lineup of this legendary quartet;
Beethoven: String Quartet Op.127 (Hungarian String Quartet) - classic recording from the mid-60s;
Beethoven: Piano Sonata no.32, Op.111 (Wilhelm Kempff) - Kempff’s 1936 recording of Beethoven’s valedictory piano sonata is more varied in feel than his later versions but fascinating nonetheless.

*Shit bag bone on, shit bag oh penissey! (What I genuinely thought were the lyrics for Faust’s ‘J’ai mal aux dents’ back in the day. Says so much about my post-pubertal mindset - and my old Bush mono record player!)

Live your finest week, my friends.

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jun 13, 2021, 16:18
Nick Drake - Family Tree

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Genesis - And Then There Were Three
Genesis - Duke
Genesis - Abacab
Genesis - Three Sides Live
Genesis - Six Of The Best (only just discovered this on YouTube - a surprisingly good fan recording of what sounds like an incredible concert, Peter Gabriel's one-off reunion with Genesis in 1982. Never heard them play these songs with such verve, but must be the only time the band performed with both Phil Collins and Chester Thompson behind the kits throughout, so there is that extra propulsion due to the double drumming. For some reason it gets a bit more chaotic when Steve Hackett belatedly arrives for the encore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3e3w48rZrw)

The Kinks - The Kinks
The Kinks - Kinda Kinks
The Kinks - The Kink Kontroversy
The Kinks - Face To Face
The Kinks - Well Respected Kinks
The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon

Madness - One Step Beyond
Madness - Absolutely
Madness - 7

Eleanor Friedberger - Last Summer
Eleanor Friedberger - Personal Record
Eleanor Friedberger - New View
Eleanor Friedberger - Rebound

Flake Music - When You Land Here, It's Time To Return

La Düsseldorf - La Düsseldorf
La Düsseldorf - Viva
La Düsseldorf - Individuellos

The Apples In Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder

Elton John - Regimental Sgt Zippo (pleased to nab a copy of this at Eel Pie Records mid-morning, an all-too rare truly essential release for Record Store Day. How many other artists were issuing a completely unreleased LP for the first time rather than just an over-priced reissue of a record that can still be easily found second hand? Great to have the finished mixes of the songs that were included in inferior versions on last year's Jewel Box. These are punchy mono mixes complete with string and brass overdubs and the chaotic flutes and whistles on the title track).
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Jun 13, 2021, 16:52
Jun 13, 2021, 16:30
The Idle Race - The Birthday Party

Virginia Wing - Ways of Being

Faust - The Faust Tapes/71 Mins/BBC Sessions
Snap with Fitter! Still love the Bridget Riley cover on the Virgin LP, even tho my 10 gen hand me down vinyl is pretty much unpayable. You could argue that the numerous pops, clicks, rumbles and scratches give a unique bit of 'extra' Faust to the disc. Also like Fitter I miss heard the lyrics of J'Mal Aux Dents, but I heard "Checked by Buddha, Check my own fantasy" Guess my mind wasn't so filthy ;)

Moon Duo - Mazes (Deluxe)

The Oscillation - For Tomorrow

Black Sabbath - Paranoid/ Vol:4

1968 - Salvation If You Need

Cope - Fried/WSYM/Followers Of....

The Doors - L.A.Woman (Anniversary Mixes)

Stones - Let It Bleed

Can - Monster Movie

Bauhaus - Press The Eject....

That's about it...Keep Keepin' on!

Oooh, just noticed that Scientists have released a new proper album after 35 years called 'Negativity'...excited!!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jun 13, 2021, 18:45
Jun 13, 2021, 18:44
Monganaut wrote:

Faust - The Faust Tapes/71 Mins/BBC Sessions
Snap with Fitter! Still love the Bridget Riley cover on the Virgin LP, even tho my 10 gen hand me down vinyl is pretty much unpayable. You could argue that the numerous pops, clicks, rumbles and scratches give a unique bit of 'extra' Faust to the disc. Also like Fitter I miss heard the lyrics of J'Mal Aux Dents, but I heard "Checked by Buddha, Check my own fantasy" Guess my mind wasn't so filthy ;)

Quite. But then according to the ReR lyric sheet, I was nearly spot on in thinking that part of the lyric for the penultimate part of Side Two was “See her lying in the grass, must be a nice nice feeling for her ass”. They actually sing that!

With you on the surface noise of the orig vinyl adding to the experience. Then again, how many of our favourite records are ingrained with the clicks, scratches and jumps of the pressings we first heard them on? It was only when I first heard Magazine’s ‘Secondhand Daylight’ on CD that I realised that a LP I’d known and adored for thirty years jumped all over the place!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jun 13, 2021, 21:21
Just taken the hint and nipped over to ReR finally. Seems to require that you buy at least 4 so added Ravivvando to the party too.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Jun 13, 2021, 22:44
Jun 13, 2021, 22:41
Goat – Headsoup. Comp of B-sides, odds & sods. Decided I didn’t really like Goat by midway, but it improved dramatically as it neared the end.

D Rothon – Memories Of Earth

Jason Sharp – The Turning Centre Of A Still World

Elephant9 – Arrival Of The New Elders

Wipers – Land Of The Lost

Patto – s/t / Hold Your Fire

VA – Strain, Crack & Break vol 2. German entries from the Nurse With Wound list includes this tremendous Gomorrha track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0VF8FFdds
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jun 14, 2021, 15:39
Hopefully you'll enjoy Ravivando. I like it a lot, it's a quite dense and claustrophobic record that can be an intense listen all in one go, and it has a different sound and vibe to older Faust of Yor, but after a few spins, it opens out somewhat.
keith a
9574 posts

Jun 14, 2021, 20:08
Star King - Marc Bolan & T.Rex
RDS release. ‘Working’ versions, etc. Not for the casual fan I guess.

Live In Stuttgart 1975 - Can
Can as an instrumental four piece. Some great grooves.

Kicking Against The Pricks - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Includes great covers of The Carnival Is Over and All Tomorrow’s Parties, two songs by groups that I have loved at different times of my life (The Seekers and the Velvets obviously).

Infinite Density Of Dub - The Disciples
Took a bit of a punt on this re-issued 90’s dub album and on the strength of one play it's pretty decent.

Mamouna - Bryan Ferry
Nothing I say is going to change the mind of those folk that think that Ferry/Roxy Music died a creative death sometime around 1975, but though I prefer the earlier stuff I also like a lot of the later releases to varying degrees, too. OK, you could say that he has gone further and further up a post-Avalon cul-de-sac where everything gets more and more polished and, er, ‘tasteful’ (how I hate using that word!). But I reckon this (from 1994) is one of his best solo sets with tracks like The 39 Steps having a really nice groove that could go on much longer as far as I’m concerned. There’s a small army playing on each track, mind. 39 Steps has 5 (yes five!) guitarists, including Robin Trower and Nile Rodgers, two bassists as well as Eno on, er, ‘Sounds (Sonic Emphasis’).

Kings Left Behind - Ikebe Shakedown
The gloriously retro soulish instrumental, Unqualified, was probably my favourite single last year, so I thought take a punt on the 2019 album it came from. And I’m not disappointed!

Vertigo Days - The Notwist
Really strong return from one of my fave acts of the past 20 years or so.

Also…
Width Of A Circle - David Bowie

Drinking Gasoline - Cabaret Voltaire

Yeti Season - El Michels Affair

Transparent Things / Different Blades From The Same Pair Of Scissors - Fujiya & Miyagi
S/T - Fujiya & Miyagi

Cruelty Without Beauty - Soft Cell
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index