Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Where do you go to discover new musics these days?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Where do you go to discover new musics these days?
Oct 15, 2018, 20:34
What with the demise of John Peel and several trusted record labels (Creation, 4AD etc) to point me in interesting directions and bring intriguing new things to my attention, I struggle to discover inspiring new bands or sounds.

I'm guessing that musics' research and development departments are still alive and well and functioning somewhere ... but you can only trawl through so many random bandcamp pages seeking inspiration.

Where do YOU look to discover new bands these days?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Where do you go to discover new musics these days?
Oct 15, 2018, 21:30
Online radio is good.

Friday Morning Cartunes:
https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/117/39838.html

Sunrise Ocean Bender:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mr_atavist/stream/
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Oct 15, 2018, 22:32
There are a few writers on the Quietus site that I trust to steer me right, as we seem to share a similar taste in sounds. Bandcamp is great, as often you get to listen to something before you buy. Pitchfork used to be pretty good, but these last few years, much like NME went in the end days, they've had to broaden their remit to cover more populist artists and genre's, so you gotta wade through a lot to get to the nuggets. And weirdly, the little bar at the bottom of a page you're looking at on Discogs has led to some interesting stuff.

Couple of labels I 'follow' usually put out stuff that floats my boat (those being Cardinal Fuzz, Sacred Bones, Riot Season and occasionally Warp/Mute).

Also, youtube can take you in some interesting directions if you let it do it's thing.
Mantid
100 posts

Oct 16, 2018, 15:12
I don't love this answer but it works: youtube

The more I search for stuff I like, the better the suggestions become.

- Otherwise, KEXP (kexp.org) has a couple shows that are fantastic: Wo' Pop and Positive Vibrations. They also have a nice selection of live studio performances with great production value.

- I get a lot of leads here.

- I am lucky enough to work at a place with a handful of forward-thinkers and we have a psych music channel on Slack which is rich in suggestions.

but mostly... I am still working through the Copendium! That doesn't help with "new" music but a lot of it is new to me, and it all feeds into finding other suggestions.

Good luck in your quest.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 16, 2018, 15:14
Mostly Bandcamp these days, also BBC Radio Wales Introducing on the occasion I stay in on a saturday night
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 16, 2018, 18:59
Great idea for a thread by the way - you can never have too many sources of new noise!
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Oct 16, 2018, 19:55
For instrumental music I go to A Closer Listen
https://acloserlisten.com/

They focus on post-rock, electronica, modern composition, ambient, drone, field recordings and soundscape. Usually great taste and some excellent reviews with links to the bandcamp, soundcloud artist pages.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Oct 17, 2018, 19:11
I can echo some of the suggestions so far. I check out Pitchfork daily as they get to review 20+ albums a week. I also use metacritic to see if any acclaimed albums are worth listening to or have passed me by and it is quite a good listing for some of the albums that are released each week.

Here of course, particularly soundtrack to our lives. I know the posts are dwindling these days, but it is still a good way to keep tabs on what has been released or needs checking out.

Youtube. I have a gig fanatic friend and tend to youtube his suggestions of gigs straight off to see if they are worth seeing.

Basically any suggestion of an album or artist that interests me I feed into my Spotify albums list and if they are any good I will endeavour to seek them out on CD. It acts as my memory so I don't have to write things down and I listen to several albums a week that way. I do tend to check out RYM for a 101 into what an artist's essential output is too.

One thing that gives you a perfect excuse to do your own research is to go to a festival and decide what you want to see from the lineup. Hey presto plenty of artists to check out and assess.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 17, 2018, 19:26
I definitely agree with you about the Soundtracks thread here - a rich vein of music to dig into, despite the dwindling numbers. I can only apologise for being one of the dwindlers - I've been so busy with my own recordings lately I've had very little spare time.

With ref to the live YouTube gigs - what a great thread that would make on here! It'd make a fantastic resource for people to explore.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 17, 2018, 19:27
riverman wrote:
For instrumental music I go to A Closer Listen
https://acloserlisten.com/

They focus on post-rock, electronica, modern composition, ambient, drone, field recordings and soundscape. Usually great taste and some excellent reviews with links to the bandcamp, soundcloud artist pages.

That looks interesting! Thanks Riverman :)
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index