Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 September 2018 CE

17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 September 2018 CE
Sep 16, 2018, 22:12
With Animals – Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood
Sounding decent on first listen. More like Garwood's last album than Lanegan's last I'd say.

Double Negative - Low
A more experimental approach, more in the vein of Drums &Guns really. I think this will need a few plays but even on forst listen there are some great moments.

Compulsion Songs - Lucid Dream
I saw these supporting The Wooden Shjips a few nights ago. A great gig. I'd seen these a few years ago. I'd enjoyed them then but I think they've made a step up.

+Justments – Bill Withers
First Withers LP I ever heard and it's still probably my fave. Real unsung classic IMO.

Paradise: The Sound Of Ivor Raymonde - V/A
Compilation of his Dad's stuff by former Cocteau Twin, Simon. He sure did work with some of the greats – they don't come much better than The Walkers Brothers, Dusty Springfield IMO. There are some nice sleevenotes from Simon who recalls Scott Walker being around when Simon was a small child. Interestingly, Simon points out that he can't say that his Dad wasn't an influence on him, as he got into Punk and binned his classical background. What he doesn't say – and what perhaps he hasn't realised! - is that there is a punk connection with his dad. He produced Dave Berry's Stepping Stone, later covered by the band that got the whole Punk thing underway. The Pistols of course!

Also...
American Utopia – David Byrne

The Original Sound Of Sheffield '78-82: Best Of... – Cabaret Voltaire

World's Strongest Man – Gaz Coombes

Revolutionary Suicide – Julian Cope
Skellington 3 – Julian Cope

Move Through The Dawn - The Coral

Gris-A-Gris – Dr John

Always Ascending – Franz Ferdinand

Singularity – Jon Hopkins

Shadow People – The Liminanas

Egypt Station - Paul McCartney

And Nothing Hurt - Spiritualized

Deutsche Elektronische Musik 3: Experimental German Rock & Electronic Music 1971-81 – V/A
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index