Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 September 2018 CE

17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 September 2018 CE
Sep 16, 2018, 19:20
A protracted spell in hospital has somewhat restricted my listening activities of late, but these fine recent releases are all doing their bit to help my recovery:

Paul Weller 'True Meanings' - whererin the Modfather gets all Nick Drakey and manages to come out with his best sung, arranged and executed album in many years, and I speak as a fan. Sample the first and last tracks to see if you agree. If like me you dug Neil Young's 'Storytone' you'll probably dig this too;

Richard Thompson '13 Rivers' - another return to form album from one of my all-time heroes, this features some particularly searing axe work even by this man's own stellar standards. Great songs too, but ain't that a given?

The Proclaimers 'Angry Cyclist' - more acerbic yet heartfelt short chunks of pop excellence from Edinburgh's finest duo. 'You Make Me Happy' has the potential to outdo even their best known tracks for hummability should there emerge any more Shrek movies;

Paul McCartney 'Egypt Station' - hmmm, still trying to come to terms with this one. On the face of it trite, facile and all too predictable. I'm hoping that further plays will prove it a worthy successor to 2013's impressive 'New', which I replayed earlier in the week and really enjoyed. I'll post again on this one, God willing;

Japan 'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' and 'Tin Drum' - timeless classics sounding resplendent and newly-minted in their recent 2x45 rpm audiophile vinyl editions.

Whilst in hospital I was moved by the following disparate selection of tracks I heard, mostly on 6 Music. Some I knew well, some I barely knew, others were totally new to me. Back home they've made a fabulous playlist:

Goat Girl 'The Man'
Tongue 'Dark Heart'
Chaka Khan 'Like Sugar'
The Cure 'All Cats Are Grey'
Paul Smith 'Silver Rabbit'
Wiley 'Numbers In Action (Sticky Remix)' (and this from a grime despiser!)
Marshall Jefferson 'Move Your Body'
Fad Gadget 'Ricky's Hand'
Free Love 'Pushing Too Hard'
Eddi Reader 'Cavalier'
Minnie Riperton 'Les Fleurs' (wonderful - where had this been all my life?)
Coltana 'Blighty'
The Band 'The Shape I'm In'
Elvis Costello 'Unwanted Number'
Four Tops 'Keeper Of The Castle'
Underworld & Iggy Pop 'Get Your Shirt'

There were others too, but my restricted eyesight and cognitive abilities rendered my notes unreadable.

Brahms' four symphonies, in a multitude of various interpretations, also provided a welcome stimulant and relaxant in the two noisy wards which were my homes over my two month incarceration. I found Daniel Barenboim's new cycle with the Staatskapelle Berlin (DG) particularly refreshing, even though his very measured approach may not appeal to everyone.

It's good to be back. Good health and happy listening, dudes!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index