Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Edited Aug 10, 2018, 09:38
Re: crappiest instrument sound
Aug 10, 2018, 09:37
hallgeraet wrote:
Larry Graham is ok in doses, but all in all it must be the pop and slap bass.

I remember seeing Mark King playing (what felt like an interminably long) slap bass solo on The Tube one time ... which was pretty painful.

The instrument that makes the most fingernails-on-a-chalk-board noise for me though is the shawm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBqdQIP0evg
... and the remarkably-similar sounding stylophone.

If you search 'I Love The 1970s - The Stylophone' you'll find a clip from a BBC nostalgia program, narrated by Jimmy Saville, showing Rolf Harris promoting the stylophone. Surely, that sort of association should be enough to put anybody off?
lawrence2
106 posts

Aug 10, 2018, 17:28
Well I have a stylophone at home. I rarely use it though -- just a curio for me. Basically a one-trick-pony anyways, doesn't even have the variety of tones a Casio Vl-Tone has...
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: handclaps
Aug 14, 2018, 15:59
I love the way the Rolling Stoners used handclaps during the 60's and 70's recordings.
On a tangent, I did the handclaps on this record by retro 60's garage band, The Nuthin's back in the mid 90's - check em out - they're barely in time! =;o) (also playing on this record is Jon Mills, editor of Shindig magazine) - enjoy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd6M8VkSIhE

None of the instruments sound "crappy" though, I'm pleased to say.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Aug 14, 2018, 16:02
I hate most (but not all) slap jazzfunk bass, but I really hate bass played through a flange pedal - especially if it's a fretless!
lawrence2
106 posts

Aug 14, 2018, 17:25
I guess you're not into Magazine or A Certain Ratio I recon...

Well I have a fretless but I mainly use a chorus.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Aug 14, 2018, 17:37
Actually, thinking about it, ...I am.
It's easier to be a hater I suppose, but actually I guess it's not really about the instrument or sound, but rather the talenmt behind it.
lawrence2
106 posts

Aug 14, 2018, 19:16
Or just taste I suppose.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Aug 15, 2018, 11:43
I always enjoyed the (almost certainly apocryphal) story about Bono doing a slow handclap.

Bono: (Clapping hands slowly) "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies"

Wag in audience: "Well bloody stop it then"
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Aug 15, 2018, 12:57
I saw one of Steve Reich's happy clappy pieces performed last week. Quite impressive seeing it live
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Aug 15, 2018, 13:06
Dunno which instrument it is on the 13th Floor Elevator records that really gets on my tits - but it sounds like a stuttering bird sped up. Hate it.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index