Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 June 2018

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 June 2018
Jun 10, 2018, 21:44
Hello everyone! Apologies for not doing this for a while, but I've had a hectic few months. I've finished recording the next Black Tempest album (due out on vinyl in about September) and I've qualified as a meditation teacher (I'm already a qualified yoga teacher for those who don't know) - yeay!

Anyhow, in the meantime I've enjoyed reading your lists each week even though I haven't had time to write one, so thanks all.

CDs:

JuJu - Our Mother Was a Plant
I'd been wanting to hear this for some time, but unfortunately I found it a bit of a let down.

Ty Segall - Freedom's Goblin
Bloody great squalling rocking set from the ever prolific Mr Segall. Worth it for the version of Every 1's a Winner alone. Wish I'd got this on vinyl actually - it would work well across the 4 sides of the double.

Tangerine Dream - Official Bootleg Series Vol 1 (Reims Cathedral and Mozartsaal, Mannheim - '74 and '76)
I've been returning to this a lot lately. I slightly dismissed this when I first got it ages back, but on returning I love it. Funny how that can happen.

Chris Squire - Fish Out of Water
Really been enjoying this. Not heard it before for some reason, so it is almost like finding a lost Yes album for me.

Brand X - Nuclear Burn
Budget boxset of their albums. Some fantastic stuff on here if you like a bit of jazz rock, Mahavishnu and so on. I hadn't realised the close relationship between early Brand X and Brian Eno's Another Green World album. The combination of Phil Collins and Percy Jones shines through on both.

Vinyl:

Bong - Thought and Existence
Just love a bit of Bong. Another great addition to their catalogue. I'd love to see them live again sometime.

Gnod - Be Aware of Your Limitations
This is more a kind of Gnod R&D thing really. Live recording of their more experimental set at Roadburn. Kind of like a really paranoid weirded out version of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. Sort of.

Zong - S/T
Keep coming back to this one. Brilliant sprawling prog marathons that rock and seethe in a pleasingly psychedelic fashion.

Anthroprophh- Omegaville
Wow. This is an incredible assault on the senses. Heavy, rocking and pretty strange in places, I still don't think I've really got to know this brilliant double album. If not the best release of the year, certainly the most ambitious.

Gnod - Chapel Perilous
How the hell do you follow an album as great as last years "Just Say No"? Well this is a pretty bloody good attempt. A couple of great Neil Francis vocals on this one, and some fantastic trademark heavy repetition on show. There are elements of light and shade on this album too - not as monolithic as "Just Say No".

Flowers Must Die - Dar Blommor Dor
This lot were a highlight of the recent Record Recordings 20th birthday weekend gigs. Completely entrancing live. Some marvellous wigged out hypno jams on this double.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index