27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 June 2018
Jun 10, 2018, 09:15
flashbackcaruso wrote:

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (2009 remix - thought I'd finally give this a second listen after being unconvinced by it when it first came out. My initial reservations still stand, the addition of a few extra bars on Part One not being much of a trade-off for the loss of the drum intro to the 'piltdown man' section on Part Two, and the climax of Part One sounds feeble, the titular bells apologetically buried in the mix rather than clanging out triumphantly the way they did on the original mix. But I must admit it is nice to hear instruments that were previously hidden and for the most part the sound is more balanced. Part Two sounds particularly satisfying and the new segue into Mr Piltdown is quite effective. But, for all its imperfections, I'll still go for the original. Rough round the edges, but that's part of the charm).

Funnily enough, I also played this this week, and find myself in almost total agreement with your erudite assessment. I'm tempted to think that the reason Mike buried the tubular bells in the mix second time around is because he wanted to obscure that one slightly mis-hit bell as the bells fade out...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index