Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 5 May 2018

20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 5 May 2018
May 06, 2018, 20:59
Doctor Syntax – Edwyn Collins
Most people fawn over the Orange Juice material, especially the early, hip stuff, but overall I prefer some of his solo records. I'm Not Following You is a totally under-rated gem as far as I'm concerned and this follow-up isn't far behind.

Cansei De Ser Sexy – CSS
I had to give the fab Let's Make Love And Listen To Death From Above a couple of extra listens!

Mamouna – Bryan Ferry
A 1990's Ferry LP which on the face of it is typical of his career from Avalon onwards. And yet some of the arrangements are slightly more out there, quite probably because Eno is on board, credited wih providing 'sonic' this and 'sonic' that. Andy McKay and Phil Manzanera also pop up, along with Carleen Anderson, Robin Trower, Nile Rodgers and Richard T Norris on this star-studded affair. None of this, however, should detract from the material – this features some of Ferry's finest post-Roxy numbers in my opinion.

Morning / Evening - Four Tet
I found myself listening to Morning almost every day last week.

Shag Tobacco – Gavin Friday
One of the 90's best albums IMO. You Me & World War Three and My 20th Century are simply wonderful, and there's also a rather decent version of Bolan's The Slider as well.

Ventriloquizzing - Fujiya & Miyagi
Quite simply one of the most enjoyable albums I have heard. Great Kosmiche electro-Pop. I love it!

Also...
Lick My Decals Off, Baby – Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band

With The Beatles – The Beatles

Alotus – Circle

You Want It Darker – Leonard Cohen

Guerilla Grow – Dope

Live: Playing The Fool – Gentle Giant

Space Ritual – Hawkwind

Gargoyle – Mark Lanegan Band

EP – Mogwai

Axis – Mugstar

2016 Atomized - The Raveonettes