Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 June 2017 CE

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 June 2017 CE
Jun 25, 2017, 21:13
REO Speedwagon – COW quite what the design department were thinking of when they came up with the cover for this LP is beyond me, but the actual music is most enjoyable in a 1975 midwest 2nd on the bill stadium rocking out way

Bob Seger – Live Bullet one of those classic live albums that became lost in the punk storm that hit a couple of years later, as did Van Morrison worship, a great loss to music was when trying to balance that fine line between Van Morrison and Led Zeppelin become a bad thing. Bob Seger does Van Morrison, Bo Diddley and a decent Bob Seger which was something he didn’t do much after this LP. Plus Turn The Page is lovely

Be Bop Deluxe – Sunburst Finish another band who were trampled underfoot in 76, which was a shame as this is a prime slice of intelligent without being arsey rock, IIRC Bill went on to produce much arsey without being intelligent music post be bop [or am I doing him an injustice?]

Theatre of Hate – Kinshi/Kinshi Dub It’s like the last 30 years didn’t exist but in a good way, Kirk Brandon is still a bit silly but he does a sterling job as a singer and Stan stammers still hammers a mean bass, if you had a flattop, beetle crushers and snake bite stains on your tee shirt in 85 you’ll love this [you’ve probably still got the shoes and the tee but I’ll bet the hair’s gone] others can probably live without

The Sonic Shamen – Tribute to Lemmy the actual LP has been playing second string to the bonus cd of jams with Dave Anderson which is absolutely fantastic in a jamming with ex Hawkwind guy who owns the studio kinda way
Ludovico Eunadi – In A Time Lapse Italian chap who is the classical moby or something, I really like him but I can see why the slings and arrows of derision often seem aimed in his direction, give him another 20 years and he’ll be post ironic, remember me then and say ‘That machineryelf was one prescient motherfucker’

Mark Lanegan Band – Gargoyle his latest which sounds like an excellent Mark Lanegan album which is high praise indeed , must check to see if he is the BBC at Glastonbury , I’ve been told it was a jolly good show

Julian Cope – Camden 2006 live recording of Mr Cope in fine power trio form

Ash Ra Tempel s/t dug this out as part of my continuing Schulze explorations, and rather fine it is to
Klaus Schulze – Moondawn, Dark Side of the Moog more Schulze more synthy noodling and with DSOTM added bowel shaking bass

QOTSA – Rated R, Lullabies for the Paralyzed these two appeared from the back of the cupboard so somebody else was obviously listening to them , forgotten how good QOTSA are, nice reminder as they have a new CD out

Gandalf’s Fist – neo prog, not really my cuppa tea but it was free, worth investigating if you like 3cd concept albums and somewhat twee prog , I’ve listened to it on and off for a fortnight so it has a certain appeal but I can’t get fully on board the fist train https://www.gandalfsfist.com/free-music

Govt Mule – Live something that again was a free download, tasteful 70s big rock, sometimes you can see why punk happened, nice Beatles medley though, available here, along with a lot of other good stuff http://www.nyctaper.com/2015/07/govt-mule-june-6-2015-mountain-jam-hunter-ny-flacmp3streaming/

Pink Floyd – various live shows 71-75 amazing that in 75 Floyd opened their live shows with 2 10+ unreleased tracks, wouldn’t happen now, probably my fave Floyd was 70-71 lots of guitar solos

Live Skids Newcastle 02 40th anniversary blinder of a show, went along because it was there basically and came out a convert, bar the obvious stuff haven’t really given the Skids much thought since 1980 when a friend of mine was a big fan and played them constantly, but Live they hit the mark, absolutely bowled over, would recommend them to anyone, Richard Jobson gave it his heart and soul, and looked as happy to be there as the crowd were to see him, found the whole thing moving, exhilarating and generally all round fantastic, yet another victory for live music

Unsung Forum Index