Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 June 2017 CE

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 June 2017 CE
Jun 25, 2017, 23:30
Gargoyle – Mark Lanegan Band
I really love Mark Lanegan's latest album - indeed it's a definite contender for my album of the year thus far award! So it was great to hear him perform some of it live in Manchester last week, singing in that beautifully intense low growl he has perfected. As if that wasn't enough Peter Hook joined Mark and his ace band for the encore. The version of the classic Atmosphere was a wonder to behold with Lanegan's vocals proving to be perfectly suited for Joy Division material. Hooky then unstrapped his bass and I thought that would be it, but no. He announced that he was honoured to play with one of his heroes which actually got a smile from the moody frontman, before launching into Love Will Tear Us Apart which had the crowd going mental. I felt like we were witnessing something rather special. Lanegan walked off quietly as is his wont leaving Hooky on-stage milking the applause as if it was his gig! But what a lovely end to a great show.

Let The Music Play – Shannon
I love those three Shannon 45's from circa 1984 - Let The Music Play, Give Me Tonight and Sweet Somebody – they really were fab dance records. For some reason I never bought the album till now. OK, nothing else sounds as great as those records but I've enjoyed playing it all the same.

A Way Of Life – Suicide
Vastly under-rated third album from the Al & Marty Show that includes at least three total Suicide classics in Rain Of Ruin, Dominic Christ and Devastation.

Musique Originale Du Film Donne-moi La Main – Tarwater
Top notch 2009 LP from Tarwater, a German band who normally lean more towards the metronomic Kraftwerk school, but Station on this one has a definite Can-like funkiness to it.

The Hype (Uncut) – V/A
This months free cd opens with a track from the forthcoming Peter Perrett album. As a song it's very Only Ones and there's a nice production thought part of me can't help wondering what John Perry would have added to it. Elsewhere the track from the new Public Service Broadcasting LP sounded disappoining at first but has grown on me a bit whilst Jah Wobble takes on The Public Image track again – ok it'll never beat the original but he makes it his own.

A Houseguests Wish – V/A
I love Wire's Outdoor Miner but 19 versions of it by different artists gets a bit too much – especially as most of them aren't that good! Pick of the bunch for me is probably the one by Flying Saucer Attack.

Also...
Loin Des Hommes- Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
You Want It Darker – Leonard Cohen
Revolutionary Suicide – Julian Cope
Rock Section – Dayglo Maradona
Silver Eye – Goldfrapp
Stranded – Roxy Music
Tomorrow Belongs To Me - SAHB
S/T - 10cc
Modern Kosmology – Jane Weaver
Back To Land – Wooden Shjips

Unsung Forum Index