Stelvio Cipriani (with Goblin) - Ring of Darkness

The Beach Boys - Friends
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2606 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2017, 10:16
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 June 2017 CE
Jun 25, 2017, 10:15
Aside from Radiohead and Elbow at Glastonbury (enjoyed from the comfort of my armchair), I've listened to these, mostly excellent, records:
Radiohead 'OK Computer NOT OK' bonus disc
National Health ‘Of Queues and Cures’
Pip Pyle's Equipe Out 'Up!'
Snarky Puppy 'We Like It Here'
Paul Weller 'A Kind Revolution'
Lawnmower Deth 'Oh Crikey, It's...'
Rhodri Davies, David Sylvian & Mark Wastell 'There Is No Love'
Charley Pride 'Make Mine Country'
Lefty Frizzell 'Life's Like Poetry'
Richard Strauss: Four Last Songs (Janowitz/BPO/Karajan)
Richard Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra (BPO Boehm)
Mahler: 4 Rueckert Lieder (Fischer-Dieskau/BPO/Boehm)
Rossini Barber of Seville Overture (VPO/Malcolm Sargent)
Elgar: String Serenade (LPO/Malcolm Sargent)
Messiaen: La Nativite de Seigneur (Andrew Canning)

Have a good week, all.
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Jun 25, 2017, 10:37
Bob Dylan - Street Legal

Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (Early Mix 1972)

The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle
The Zombies - R.I.P. (from Albums That Never Were blog)

Genesis - Genesis
Genesis - Invisible Touch

Madness - The Rise & Fall
Madness - Keep Moving
Madness - Mad Not Mad
Madness - Wonderful

Bee Gees - To Whom It May Concern

Wings - Wings At The Speed Of Sound
Wings - London Town
Wings - Back To The Egg

Amon Düül II - Hijack
Amon Düül II - Made In Germany

The Beatles - Band On The Run (from Albums That Never Were blog)
The Beatles - Good Night Vienna (from Albums That Never Were blog)

Klaus Schulze - Timewind
Beebon
1375 posts

Jun 25, 2017, 15:13
Thank goodness the heat has ended. However these have helped get me through the week:

Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
Little Feat - Little Feat
Grateful Dead - Anthem Of The Sun
Danzig - Danzig
Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails
Church Of Misery - Murder Company 10"
Loop - Guilded Eternity
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Coil - Love's Secret Domain
Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. 1
Manuel Gottsching - E2-E4
Current 93 - Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain
Voivod - Dimension Hatross
Bang! - Bang!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jun 25, 2017, 17:36
Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium

Mugstar - Sun, broken & Lime

Thurston Moore - Trees Outside the Academy. Sounds blummin marvellous. Dunno if he has bettered this, solo? A lot of acoustic arrangements

America - Greatest Hits. Horse with no name is one of my fav songs, like Lennon's Sitting watching the wheels go round and round. Something transcendentally primal (?!!!) about it.

New Order - Technique

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Framed/Next. Did they really call a song 'Gang Bang'? And I thought naming yourself Master Musicians of Bukkake questionable!

Iggy Pop - Lust for Life

Blanck Mass - World eater. Looking forward to hearing this lot in Totness in a couple of months.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 25, 2017, 21:13
REO Speedwagon – COW quite what the design department were thinking of when they came up with the cover for this LP is beyond me, but the actual music is most enjoyable in a 1975 midwest 2nd on the bill stadium rocking out way

Bob Seger – Live Bullet one of those classic live albums that became lost in the punk storm that hit a couple of years later, as did Van Morrison worship, a great loss to music was when trying to balance that fine line between Van Morrison and Led Zeppelin become a bad thing. Bob Seger does Van Morrison, Bo Diddley and a decent Bob Seger which was something he didn’t do much after this LP. Plus Turn The Page is lovely

Be Bop Deluxe – Sunburst Finish another band who were trampled underfoot in 76, which was a shame as this is a prime slice of intelligent without being arsey rock, IIRC Bill went on to produce much arsey without being intelligent music post be bop [or am I doing him an injustice?]

Theatre of Hate – Kinshi/Kinshi Dub It’s like the last 30 years didn’t exist but in a good way, Kirk Brandon is still a bit silly but he does a sterling job as a singer and Stan stammers still hammers a mean bass, if you had a flattop, beetle crushers and snake bite stains on your tee shirt in 85 you’ll love this [you’ve probably still got the shoes and the tee but I’ll bet the hair’s gone] others can probably live without

The Sonic Shamen – Tribute to Lemmy the actual LP has been playing second string to the bonus cd of jams with Dave Anderson which is absolutely fantastic in a jamming with ex Hawkwind guy who owns the studio kinda way
Ludovico Eunadi – In A Time Lapse Italian chap who is the classical moby or something, I really like him but I can see why the slings and arrows of derision often seem aimed in his direction, give him another 20 years and he’ll be post ironic, remember me then and say ‘That machineryelf was one prescient motherfucker’

Mark Lanegan Band – Gargoyle his latest which sounds like an excellent Mark Lanegan album which is high praise indeed , must check to see if he is the BBC at Glastonbury , I’ve been told it was a jolly good show

Julian Cope – Camden 2006 live recording of Mr Cope in fine power trio form

Ash Ra Tempel s/t dug this out as part of my continuing Schulze explorations, and rather fine it is to
Klaus Schulze – Moondawn, Dark Side of the Moog more Schulze more synthy noodling and with DSOTM added bowel shaking bass

QOTSA – Rated R, Lullabies for the Paralyzed these two appeared from the back of the cupboard so somebody else was obviously listening to them , forgotten how good QOTSA are, nice reminder as they have a new CD out

Gandalf’s Fist – neo prog, not really my cuppa tea but it was free, worth investigating if you like 3cd concept albums and somewhat twee prog , I’ve listened to it on and off for a fortnight so it has a certain appeal but I can’t get fully on board the fist train https://www.gandalfsfist.com/free-music

Govt Mule – Live something that again was a free download, tasteful 70s big rock, sometimes you can see why punk happened, nice Beatles medley though, available here, along with a lot of other good stuff http://www.nyctaper.com/2015/07/govt-mule-june-6-2015-mountain-jam-hunter-ny-flacmp3streaming/

Pink Floyd – various live shows 71-75 amazing that in 75 Floyd opened their live shows with 2 10+ unreleased tracks, wouldn’t happen now, probably my fave Floyd was 70-71 lots of guitar solos

Live Skids Newcastle 02 40th anniversary blinder of a show, went along because it was there basically and came out a convert, bar the obvious stuff haven’t really given the Skids much thought since 1980 when a friend of mine was a big fan and played them constantly, but Live they hit the mark, absolutely bowled over, would recommend them to anyone, Richard Jobson gave it his heart and soul, and looked as happy to be there as the crowd were to see him, found the whole thing moving, exhilarating and generally all round fantastic, yet another victory for live music
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2017, 21:14
Jun 25, 2017, 21:14
Voivod - Dimension Hatross class, must dig out some Voivod
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jun 25, 2017, 22:38
BardSpec – Hydrogen. A couple of death metal guys in disguise do spacey/industrial electronica. Quite a bit better than I expected it to be: https://bardspec.bandcamp.com/

The Focus Group – Stop-Motion Happening. I started going into a hypnogogic state listening to this – it was like being in an episode of The Prisoner.

The Myrrors – Hasta La Victoria

Woods – Love Is Love

Chaz Bundick Meets The Mattson 2 – Star Stuff. From earlier this year, a really quite impressive take on jazzy psychedelia – even the American indie boy vocals work well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blz2IpGR1Sg

Brian Eno – The Shutov Assembly. There’s actually quite a bit of the Eno back catalogue I’ve never heard. This comes recommended, but it felt a bit 90s digital to me.

Radiohead – Live at Glastonbury on your telly. They’re just bloody good, aren’t they? Rolled out all the ‘hits’ at the end (most of which didn’t bother the top 20 at the time, now received like sacred texts), but I love the fact they started the set so quietly. ’15 Steps’ was particularly good.

Listen With Father:

Traffic – Heaven Is In Your Mind. Great comp from the late 90s. Hard to tell these days, but I think they particularly liked ‘John Barleycorn Must Die’, which of course they should.

UFO – ‘Doctor, Doctor’. As I’ve mentioned before, the single album I’ve actually heard the most in the past six months is the School Of Rock original cast recording. Some sickly Lloyd Webber moments, but for the most past it’s genuinely quite rocking (in a very tongue in cheek way), and the kids absolutely love it. So, having played them some of the songs that get referenced in SOR (‘Smoke On The Water’, ‘Walk On The Wild Side’, ‘Satisfaction’ etc), I thought we’d have a little stroll through some of the finer hard rock singles of the late 70s to see what they thought. I discovered two things in particular: 1) the original version of ‘Since You’ve Been Gone’ is shockingly unavailable on Spotify, and 2) the girls totally loved ‘Doctor, Doctor’ (live version, naturally) to such an extent that a repeat play was immediately demanded, this time accompanied by a vigorous interpretive dance…

K is for…

Killdozer – Intellectuals Are The Shoeshine Boys Of The Ruling Elite. Not even sure if I’ve ever played this through before, picked up in a charity shop for much cheapness. Killdozer are a band best appreciated in small doses, and at times it felt like they were a prank being perpetrated by the US hardcore underground on a gullible UK press. This is their first release I think, and features some surprisingly tuneful playing in among all the references to child molesters and serial killers – and the title suggests that the redneck punk thing was of course just an image. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iOIFInCbI

DJ Krush – Strictly Turntablized. There was a couple of years or so in the 90s when Mo Wax was the hip label, not least because of putting out the first few DJ Shadow singles, which really didn’t sound like anything else at the time. DJ Krush, also on Mo Wax, was promoted as his Japanese equivalent, but the comparison doesn’t really hold water – DJK is sparser, and the beats are starker. Yet it’s sometimes similarly hypnotic, urban fugue music. The pseudo-graffiti cover and title is utterly of its time though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjzc4hve6QM
keith a
9570 posts

Jun 25, 2017, 23:30
Gargoyle – Mark Lanegan Band
I really love Mark Lanegan's latest album - indeed it's a definite contender for my album of the year thus far award! So it was great to hear him perform some of it live in Manchester last week, singing in that beautifully intense low growl he has perfected. As if that wasn't enough Peter Hook joined Mark and his ace band for the encore. The version of the classic Atmosphere was a wonder to behold with Lanegan's vocals proving to be perfectly suited for Joy Division material. Hooky then unstrapped his bass and I thought that would be it, but no. He announced that he was honoured to play with one of his heroes which actually got a smile from the moody frontman, before launching into Love Will Tear Us Apart which had the crowd going mental. I felt like we were witnessing something rather special. Lanegan walked off quietly as is his wont leaving Hooky on-stage milking the applause as if it was his gig! But what a lovely end to a great show.

Let The Music Play – Shannon
I love those three Shannon 45's from circa 1984 - Let The Music Play, Give Me Tonight and Sweet Somebody – they really were fab dance records. For some reason I never bought the album till now. OK, nothing else sounds as great as those records but I've enjoyed playing it all the same.

A Way Of Life – Suicide
Vastly under-rated third album from the Al & Marty Show that includes at least three total Suicide classics in Rain Of Ruin, Dominic Christ and Devastation.

Musique Originale Du Film Donne-moi La Main – Tarwater
Top notch 2009 LP from Tarwater, a German band who normally lean more towards the metronomic Kraftwerk school, but Station on this one has a definite Can-like funkiness to it.

The Hype (Uncut) – V/A
This months free cd opens with a track from the forthcoming Peter Perrett album. As a song it's very Only Ones and there's a nice production thought part of me can't help wondering what John Perry would have added to it. Elsewhere the track from the new Public Service Broadcasting LP sounded disappoining at first but has grown on me a bit whilst Jah Wobble takes on The Public Image track again – ok it'll never beat the original but he makes it his own.

A Houseguests Wish – V/A
I love Wire's Outdoor Miner but 19 versions of it by different artists gets a bit too much – especially as most of them aren't that good! Pick of the bunch for me is probably the one by Flying Saucer Attack.

Also...
Loin Des Hommes- Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
You Want It Darker – Leonard Cohen
Revolutionary Suicide – Julian Cope
Rock Section – Dayglo Maradona
Silver Eye – Goldfrapp
Stranded – Roxy Music
Tomorrow Belongs To Me - SAHB
S/T - 10cc
Modern Kosmology – Jane Weaver
Back To Land – Wooden Shjips
Beebon
1375 posts

Jun 26, 2017, 06:21
This is the first Voivod I have really got into. I have tried here and there over the years to try to get into them but now I think I "get it"
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index