Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Best, strangest... or maybe just most inappropriate covers of all time?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
petemcfc
119 posts

Re: Best, strangest... or maybe just most inappropriate covers of all time?
Jan 22, 2017, 22:01
Nina Simone-Here Comes The Sun.
Smashing.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 22:22
Paul Higgins wrote:
ST. ETIENNE - ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK YOUR HEART

COULD GO ON WITH THESE FOREVER (PROBABLY FORGOT LOADS OF OTHER GOOD ONES)

I promised not to add any more... but actually played this this afternoon and thought.... well let's just see. Needn't have worried.

To be fair I actually prefer 'Kiss and Make Up'... but the audacity of turning Neil Young into something that resonated with 1990's UK youth has to be applauded. Especially when Wiggs and Stanley went on to write much superior stuff of their own. In my opinion.
petemcfc
119 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 22:40
GLADMAN wrote:
Paul Higgins wrote:

I promised not to add any more... but actually played this this afternoon and thought.... well let's just see. Needn't have worried.

To be fair I actually prefer 'Kiss and Make Up'... but the audacity of turning Neil Young into something that resonated with 1990's UK youth has to be applauded. Especially when Wiggs and Stanley went on to write much superior stuff of their own. In my opinion.

Slumped on the stage in the Hac,full of "vitimin pills" listening to them play that,naughty times.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 23:01
petemcfc wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
Paul Higgins wrote:

Slumped on the stage in the Hac,full of "vitimin pills" listening to them play that,naughty times.]

They got so much stick, didn't they? The key for me was always the melody, the pop hook. It's either there or it's not. The fact that Sarah is every guy's dream helped, naturally... but that is nowhere near enough.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 23:03
There's also a Coteau Twins Peel session version. I have it on a 2cd compi of their sessions for him.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Just thinking..
Jan 22, 2017, 23:17
spencer wrote:
..this topic's turning into one fuck of a good Youtube playlist..or a comp CD box. This place still has EARS 'despite it all'...

I get you Spencer... just reading across on TMA how lowbrow and frivolous the site has (apparently!!!) now become... according to some witless individual who contributes nothing. I get the same feeling when a Jehovah's Witness knocks at my door. Does one argue...or just say fuck off you loon?' Argue with a fool and so does he.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Just thinking..
Jan 22, 2017, 23:23
The heart of this place and that will remain till the buttons pushed, w h a t e v e r. Some just don't get that. Fuck them. I just wish we were united about something positive instead of tonight's awful news.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 23:53
As I think I say on one of my earlier posts here, she seemed to be covering a lot of white singer/songwriters at the time. Seemed a bit strange for somebody so vocally into black power.

But most of them are very good versions.

I love her version of the Bee Gees song In The Morning. Not sure where the original comes from, I've got it on a '71 live set by them though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Digital-Music/Very-Best-Nina-Simone-1967-1972-Sugar/B001HC6G6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485128893&sr=8-1&keywords=NIna+simone+sugar+in+my+bowl
THis is the compilation I discovered her music from the era on. Used to be around quite a bit as a reduced price cd in the local chain cd shop about 10 years ago, possibly a little earlier.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 23, 2017, 00:05
Stevo wrote:
As I think I say on one of my earlier posts here, she seemed to be covering a lot of white singer/songwriters at the time. Seemed a bit strange for somebody so vocally into black power.

You could counter that with her eerie cover of Exuma's Dambala: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDwH-S0KoU (I think she also made a tribute to him with Obeah Woman).

Exuma was relegated to the fringe of the fringes until quite recently, and yet Nina cottoned onto him straight away. I suspect she was one of those whimsical artistic espers who was so lacking in pretence that she exerted just as much creativity working with other people's material as her own. She'd have made an amazing DJ if she weren't such a capable musician.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Jan 23, 2017, 00:29
Forgot to mention, there's a Ministry album called 'Cover Up' which has some wonderful versions of well known classics, some of them hilarious to boot.

album....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NmBBa2bI70&list=PL32CA83D5F6818B7A

Tracklist...
1. Under My Thumb (The Rolling Stones)
2. Bang A Gong (T. Rex)
3. Radar Love (Golden Earring)
4. Space Truckin' (Deep Purple)
5. Black Betty (Ram Jam)
6. Mississippi Queen (Mountain)
7. Just Got Paid (ZZ Top)
8. Roadhouse Blues (The Doors)
9. Supernaut (Black Sabbath)
10. The Light Pours Out Of Me (Magazine)
11. Lay Lady Lay (Bob Dylan)
12. It's A Wonderful World (Louie Armstrong)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index