The Beatles - With The Beatles

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World

Uriah Heap - Salisbury

Arthur Alexander - The Greatest...

The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow

Vangelis - La Fête Sauvage
Vangelis - Opéra Sauvage

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends...

The Moody Blues - Octave
The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager

Broadcast - Haha Sound
Broadcast - Tender Buttons

Simon Joyner - Beautiful Losers: Singles and Compilation Tracks 1994-1999
Simon Joyner - Skeleton Blues

The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones
The Beach Boys - Love You

(American) Spring - Spring

Magna Carta - Seasons
Magna Carta - Songs From Wasties Orchard

Kevin Ayers - Joy Of A Toy
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Edited Feb 15, 2016, 00:27
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 February 2016 CE
Feb 15, 2016, 00:21
Having a bit of a 80's pop fling these past few weeks, mostly thanks to those TOTP reruns on BBC4.

The Passions - Michael and Maranda
Was only aware of the 'German Filmstar' single, after watching them on TOTP reruns on BBC4 Thought I'd check out the other stuff they put out. M&M is my fav so far. Kinda like a better produced Au Pairs. Same label as those early Cure albums too (Fiction).

Gary Numan - Living Ornaments 79/80/81, Telekon, Pleasure Principle.
Some great gigs up on youtube too. These three are particularly worth some of your time if Numan is your cuppa tea.
The bands are really tight on all these performances.
Replicas 2009? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JWo3n1rbTc
Pleasure Priciple 2008? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwnN3k-nMiI
Telekon 2009? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2dx6EMPvOQ

Blancmange - Best Of 2CD (Rhino)
This was a cheapy add on to make up a £20 order on Amazong. Loved them back in the day, and this comp' on Rhino pulls together most of what you'd want, plus 12" versions and the odd session track. Well worth the £3 I paid

Eurythmics - Best of
All you need really, though non of the Conny Plank produced Debut. Loved some of their early hits, 'Sweet Dreams' and 'Here Comes The Rain' are still firm favs, and the other stuff is familiar from radio play. Frankly, I was never a massive fan, but these tunes still piss over most stuff that passes for pop music these days, or am I just gettin old (probably that !).

OMD - Organisation
Still my fav' OMD record.

Human League - Dare/Travelogue/ Reptroduction/Love and Dancing
All great records with soething to tecommend them all, even the 12" mix thang that is Love and Dancng. 'Sound Of The Crowd' still rocks my world massively.

Bunnymen - Heaven/Crocodiles/Porcupine/Ocean Rain
How did they produce those wonderful first four albums, then go on to produce such middling 'meh' kak? Still find it hard to square up the'scouseness' of Mac with the almost poetry of the songs on these albums.

V/A - Where The Sea Meets The Sky
Great comp, well worth tracking down,
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Where-The-Sea-Meets-The-Sky/release/581485

Also, if you're a fan of 2000AD comic, the DVD docuentary 'Future Shocks' is well worth picking up. All you're fav 2000AD creators get interviewed and dish the dirt on the galaxies finest comic. Plus a whole bunch of comic samples in PDF form as extras. Groovy! It's great to see how much fire in the belly Pat Mills still has for the genre. Think (along with Alan Moore and Kevin O'neil Simon Bisley's art) he's my fav' comic script writer ever.

Have a good week!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 15, 2016, 09:04
Feb 15, 2016, 04:17
Illuminations was one of those albums perpetually in the cut outs section of Virgin along with Man's Slow Motion and the first Chapman Whitney record. I was a huge Santana fan up to the 76 tour when they went a bit showbiz and I was lucky enough to buy it for £1 or £1.50 in 75. Confused me totally but it was a lot more accessible than the Lifetime record I got for 50p the same day. It was that period pre Punk when Jazz Rock was basically Prog by other means.

Anyway ... if you like that one then there is a Bill Laswell "reimagining" of it where he fuses parts of Santana's work with Alice Coltrane with parts of Love Devotion and Surrender. You will like I think.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Feb 15, 2016, 07:20
Squid Tempest wrote:
It's a lovely thing - I have one too.

Tell you what though, for sheer weight and heavy splendidness of packaging, the cover of Altar (Sunn O)))) and Boris) beats it hands down!

wasn't that a triple LP, I bet the postman loved that

Southern Lord did a quadruple Burning Witch LP, I bet the postage on that was more than the record
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-L7xNfZiF8uw/TwVX9xefZiI/AAAAAAAABl0/LLB5yVqd3Uk/s1600/IMG_3006.JPG

Didn't the Bong Bethmoora vinyl reissue come in weighty, IIRC the AWWFN label guy said he took a loss on every LP mailed out because of the postage
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Feb 15, 2016, 09:38
machineryelf wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
It's a lovely thing - I have one too.

Tell you what though, for sheer weight and heavy splendidness of packaging, the cover of Altar (Sunn O)))) and Boris) beats it hands down!

wasn't that a triple LP, I bet the postman loved that

Southern Lord did a quadruple Burning Witch LP, I bet the postage on that was more than the record
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-L7xNfZiF8uw/TwVX9xefZiI/AAAAAAAABl0/LLB5yVqd3Uk/s1600/IMG_3006.JPG

Didn't the Bong Bethmoora vinyl reissue come in weighty, IIRC the AWWFN label guy said he took a loss on every LP mailed out because of the postage

I'll have to post a photo of Altar just to show its full packaging awesomeness.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Feb 15, 2016, 09:39
IanB wrote:
Illuminations was one of those albums perpetually in the cut outs section of Virgin along with Man's Slow Motion and the first Chapman Whitney record. I was a huge Santana fan up to the 76 tour when they went a bit showbiz and I was lucky enough to buy it for £1 or £1.50 in 75. Confused me totally but it was a lot more accessible than the Lifetime record I got for 50p the same day. It was that period pre Punk when Jazz Rock was basically Prog by other means.

Anyway ... if you like that one then there is a Bill Laswell "reimagining" of it where he fuses parts of Santana's work with Alice Coltrane with parts of Love Devotion and Surrender. You will like I think.

Sounds interesting, although after his ambient Bob Marley I'm a little wary of Bill Laswell's "reimagining"!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Feb 15, 2016, 09:42
Monganaut wrote:

Also, if you're a fan of 2000AD comic, the DVD docuentary 'Future Shocks' is well worth picking up. All you're fav 2000AD creators get interviewed and dish the dirt on the galaxies finest comic. Plus a whole bunch of comic samples in PDF form as extras. Groovy! It's great to see how much fire in the belly Pat Mills still has for the genre. Think (along with Alan Moore and Kevin O'neil Simon Bisley's art) he's my fav' comic script writer ever.

Sounds interesting - is it available from 2000AD itself?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Feb 15, 2016, 09:51
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:

Sounds interesting, although after his ambient Bob Marley I'm a little wary of Bill Laswell's "reimagining"!

This is a different beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkffKy_7v3A
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Feb 15, 2016, 10:01
keith a wrote:
Hours... – David Bowie

You Gotta Problem with Me – Julian Cope

Q: Are We Not Men - Devo

Commune – Goat

Phantom Radio – Mark Lanegan Band

Shadow of the Sun - Moon Duo

Bona Drag – Morrissey

75 - Neu

What The world Needs Now – PiL

Between The Buttons – Rolling Stones

Stranded - Roxy Music

A Kiss In The Dreamhouse – Siouxsie & the Banshees

The Best Of Slag Van Blowdriver 1989-91 – Slag Van Blowdriver

Easter – Patti Smith

Freak Like Me (CDS) - Sugababes

Tanx – T.Rex

Swordfishtrombones – Tom Waits

The Silver Globe – Jane Weaver

West – Wooden Shjips

Because so much of this list is so absolutely right up my street, I must now explore all the ones, on the list, I'm not familiar with, as they're pretty likely to be to my taste, too!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 15, 2016, 10:36
Monganaut wrote:
Having a bit of a 80's pop fling these past few weeks, mostly thanks to those TOTP reruns on BBC4.

Blancmange - Best Of 2CD (Rhino)
This was a cheapy add on to make up a £20 order on Amazong. Loved them back in the day, and this comp' on Rhino pulls together most of what you'd want, plus 12" versions and the odd session track. Well worth the £3 I paid

Have a good week!

Love Mange Tout. They're on tour next month, I'm tempted to get a ticket for the Garage in London but haven't got round to it yet.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index