IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 February 2016 CE
Feb 07, 2016, 22:54
Fatalist wrote:
IanB wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
Hawkwind – Space Ritual / Friends & Relations (live tracks). So, the big one. It never ceases to amaze, though any objectivity about SR went out of my window a long time ago. Really, what else even vaguely sounds like this? Many thoughts arose, the most basic of which being along the lines of ‘HW clearly weren’t going for the “let’s rock this municipal arts venue” vibe of, say. Deep Purple. But neither were they aspiring to the proggy uplands of, say, Yes. But there’s clearly a ‘serious’ intent here. What exactly were they up to in the context of 1972?’

I think perhaps they had a collective sense (though probably unspoken) that the hippie ideal was a crock long before anyone else. Even while they were still paying homage to it. I think the music reflects the idea that there is very little peace and no light "out there". They scared the shit out of me at the age of 13. In the way that the best dystopian sci-fi fiction scared the life out of me but did me a lot of good. Nothing Deep Purple sang range true to me, at least not with Gillan at the helm. Jon Anderson's words are a lot of wishful thinking but sounded lovely so I didn't waste much time worrying about their meaning.

Did you see them on this tour or around then? One of the things I'm interested in is how HW/SR actually sounded at the time, certainly compared to what else was out there. Bloody scary I imagine (and as you say) - SR seems to be about escaping a dying planet, then realising that the void isn't much better...

The only time I saw the in their pomp (though without Lemmy) was opening for Quo in daylight at Cardiff Castle. Not much fear and loathing on that occasion. I was too young for the 74 tour.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index