IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2016, 15:55
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 January 2016 CE
Jan 31, 2016, 15:53
Fatalist wrote:
IanB wrote:

Dream Theater - The Astonishing
This goes to reassert everything that has nagged at me about US Prog bands since I first heard Kansas. The singers nearly always sound like they have been recruited from a particularly anodyne branch of musical theatre. The sing like they are inhabiting a role not living it. RJ Dio is probably the only singer from America who makes Prog subject matter sound in any way convincing and he wouldn't have been seen dead around such a lightweight musical palette. Whatever you say about the Andersons, Hammill, Lake, Gabriel et al in their pomp - they sang like they meant it, man (even if they now say they didn't really).

Ha, prog is only real prog if it's sung with an English accent, discuss ;-)

That would rule out of all Europe and the French Canadian scenes before we get started. And Geddy is a totally credible singer however daft those Rush lyrics get.

Not about accent I don't think. More about the divide between imagining oneself into something potentially risible but going with it regardless and playing dress-up. I think it might have something to with people who came up through playing covers in bar bands finding the whole thing a bit fey.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index