Topic View: Flat | Threaded
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Julian Cope new album
Oct 09, 2015, 14:23
Citizensmurf wrote:
Monganaut wrote:
Dunno what your beef is. He's not here to please us, I'm sure it's always been about his own 'trip'. Having said that, surely the point of any artist is to follow their muse, for good or bad. If your making music just for the market, then you end up with the same shit that's been hoggin' the charts for the last 20 years.

Cope has pretty much done his own thing/ followed his own path since the early 90's, and thank god for that. For all his hits and misses, and they're have been plenty of both, I'd still rather he followed his heart/gut than turned out what was expected of him. Down that path lies the likes of Muse or Coldplay or wahtever.

I wasn't a big fan of 131 the novel, but I loved a lot of the music he created for the project, and loved the idea that it became almost an integral part of the book. I'd defend him to the hilt, for the right to do, as an artist, exactly what he fuckin' likes. That's why I love the guy, he'll take chances, not always in directions I appreciate, but at the end of the day, it's his choice. We don't have to buy into everything he creates. I can't think of another recording artist that has created such an identity, and such a varied body of work, be that in his musical choices, his written output, of his historical research. I for one am glad I joined him on his journey. What would you prefer, a recording artist like Bob Dylan, or Neil Young, or The Rolling Stones who have essentially made the same record for the last 30 years?

Well said. And even outside the context of the book and soundtrack, Neon Sardinia is fucking unbelievably good. I've been playing it a lot, and I would love to have it seen a wider release. Works better than QE at times, though the stylistic differences are too vast between the two projects. Holy McGrail deserves a huge heap of praise for his work, which often gets buried in the shadow of JC.

Are you still here Holy? More music please.

Also, go buy Slomo-The Grain if you haven't done so fellow heads.

https://soundsofslomo.bandcamp.com/album/the-grain

I don't have a beef but calling something perfect that to most peoples ears is clearly far from it. I'm going to disagree. Its not " whimsical " to release lousy music to your fans, its shitty. But then again for the last decade or so he's pretty much done that and for over a year now he's gone off and stuck his head in the sand so I guess its a case of "hear no evil see no evil" I literally have purchased every release over the past 25 years except the most recent available at concerts only, and while I don't feel he owes his fans anything he really has failed in the quality control department.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index