Edited Oct 09, 2015, 08:43
Re: Julian Cope new album
Oct 09, 2015, 08:42
billding68 wrote:
Citizensmurf wrote:
billding68 wrote:
Citizensmurf wrote:
billding68 wrote:
Funny when the book came out some many proclaimed it to be the tits. It wasn't and frankly neither was most of the music associated with it, I mean kick?, that was not good..

You're right, it wasn't good, it was fucking hilarious.

I'll have to disagree with the pack on this one, I loved 131, and the music was perfect. I don't ever expect another personal announcement from JC on this site again, but life goes on.

Its definitely a case of "to each his own" But youre going to have a hard time convincing anyone that Aum a Sahara by "mixing concrete" is a perfect song! Rubbish is what it is, sorry

I don't think it was ever supposed to be anything but what it is. And in that it succeeded.

So if he was going for Rubbish he succeeded? ok I can go with that...But why in Gods name would a music artist purposely release rubbish?(and don't even go down the Art path cos I aint buying into that) Metallica Released several Rubbish albums on accident and one on purpose and they were all Rubbish Regardless of the intent so, to release garbage is NOT art its garbage and sorry J.C. but Aum a Sahara is not anything ANYONE would want to listen to under any circumstance that I can think of. It really IS what it is... Probably should have put more thought into writing actual SONGS but hey I'm just the consumer what do I know.

I think the 131 music was inconsistent and not always successful, but then again its purpose was merely to provide a musical illustration of the bands and artists mentioned in the book. It was probably fun for Cope to do as it forced him to step outside his comfort zone in some respects but I don't think it ought to be judged against his main canon of work. An artistic indulgence in some respects (regardless of the soundtrack being 'commissioned' or not) but I don't think the majority was intended to be taken too seriously (I mean, how could you take anything by Brits Abroad seriously ha ha).
The Nurse With Mound tracks were pretty unlistenable to me too but I didn't particularly like Queen Elizabeth either. I personally don't think avant-garde /musique concrete is one of Cope's stronger points (I think he's too much of an accomplished songwriter to ever truly comfortably make a 'noise-as-aesthetic' statement).
To be honest thought, whilst it wasn't all great, I found the nature of the 131 soundtrack to be pretty refreshing in its tongue-in-cheek ridiculousness. We're used to Cope's music treading pretty heavy water (lyrically and conceptually) so it was nice to see him (as much as he might claim otherwise) whimsically dicking about for a bit - you can practically hear him trying not to laugh on Kick.
After all, Bagged Out Ken was a Peggy Suicide b-side but we wouldn't ever compare it to its mother album.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index