55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Country & Western Challenge
Sep 26, 2015, 23:26
caldervalium wrote:
For a slightly left-field treat, check out the 'Rubber Room' compilation by Porter Wagoner. Death, disaster, infidelity, betrayal, and on the title track (memorably covered by Alex Chilton) a questionable take on insanity. Great fun.

Love that comp. He had some of the best production at that period of his career- you almost feel like someone slipped some opiates into your tea whilst listening. Those echoey vocals, and timpani drums, and reverb, unexpected time signature changes and odd backing singers... Dewd was definitely on[to] something.

I think popol mentioned The Dillards earlier? They did one of my top 5 live albums of all time, Live!!! Almost!!! Their between-song banter is so good they make Robyn Hitchcock look like a monosyllabic grunting NME poster boy. Funny motherfunkers. Their production got pretty adventurous later on when they delved into the more progressive end of bluegrass (see also: John Hartford - Aereo-Plain, Muleskinner, Osborne Brothers, Béla Fleck).

He's more on the folky end of the country spectrum, but I'm listening to some Michael Hurley right now, and he really is one of my favourite songwriters on the planet. Like a tad more chilled and together Holy Modal Rounders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouoQ1DIVi2Q
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index