55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Country & Western Challenge
Sep 26, 2015, 15:03
Popel Vooje wrote:

I'd also add Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn, Michael Nesmith's early albums with the First National Band,

I just discovered yesterday that the first 5 ( I think) lps by these are together as an original Album Classics set. Has bonus tracks on a couple of the lps.
I had one set that wasa 2fer of the 1st 2 lps by them

Popel Vooje wrote:

and - if your definition of country is broad enough to encompass bluegrass - the Stanley Brothers and early Flatt & Scruggs and the Dillards (not to mention the two superb albums Foug Dillard made with Gene Clark).

didn't mention bluegrass or old timey stuff like the carter Family but there is quite a bit of good stuff there. I did think of the brothers bands like the Stanleys and the Louvins after posting. i have a great razor & Tie set by the Louvins.
Proper is also a great label for old c&w. the 4cds for £14 and the introduction to 1cds are great.
JUst remembering i didn't mention Hank Snow earlier though he's great. As is Moon Mullican who I havea proper 2cd set by too.
Been meaning to get the Sons of The Pioneers set since Bob Nolan is such a great poetical lyricist.
JSP also have some stuff i think.

Popel Vooje wrote:
Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood occasionally made some decent stabs in a C&W direction (such as their covers of "Jackson" and "My Elusive Dreams"), as did Glen Campbell, but the bulk of their material probably couldn' t be defined as country.

I think Hazlewood works in country based music naturally. & most of the well knwn tracks by the duo are at least partially based in the genre. Though they have weird trappings like backwards guitars and stuff all over the place.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index