8 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2015, 13:38
Re: Robyn Hitchcock where to start / what to buy
Sep 02, 2015, 11:59
I'm a fan & do think he's hit a good patch in the last 8-10 years. His 2006 album (with Venus 3) "Ole Tarantula" is a favourite of mine (& I think the inner sleeve photo may be by Julian?!)

I don't think you can go too wrong with a trip back to 1981 for "Black Snake Diamond Röle". You could try the box "I wanna go backwards" which has this album, and also "I Often Dream Of Trains" & "Eye". The extras cds with this box "While Thatcher Mauled Britain '81-'90" are good IMHO as they contain a fair bit of stuff that was on the great 1986 demo/outtakes collection "Invisible Hitchcock".

Jumping in the 90s, I'd recommend "Storefront Hitchcock - Music From The Jonathan Demme Picture" which is a live acoustic album, but well worth seeing the full video film for maximum RH!

2004s "Spooked" with Gillian Welch in tow is a good recent one, in his "return to form" recent period!

It wouldn't be right to leave out RH & The Egyptians "Fegmania!" 1985. That's also contained in the "Luminous Groove" box from 2008, which also contains "Element Of Light" and a load of demos/outtakes.

RH And The Egyptians "Greatest Hits" might also be a go to option.

Hope that's a start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlPmwIRI-Cs

Unsung Forum Index