Unsung Forum »
Robyn Hitchcock where to start / what to buy

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Robyn Hitchcock where to start / what to buy
Sep 01, 2015, 23:44
I've been listening to Robyn Hitchcock for a couple of weeks and I'm feeling that this guy is a genius!!! Our beloved Trish sent me years ago the underwater moonlight cd and its amazing. Recently I bought Spooked and Goodnight Oslo and I love them. I have Queen Elvis too (mp3)

Now I need your help, please. Thanks in advance.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Robyn Hitchcock where to start / what to buy
Sep 02, 2015, 01:09
Carlos wrote:
I've been listening to Robyn Hitchcock for a couple of weeks and I'm feeling that this guy is a genius!!! Our beloved Trish sent me years ago the underwater moonlight cd and its amazing. Recently I bought Spooked and Goodnight Oslo and I love them. I have Queen Elvis too (mp3)

Now I need your help, please. Thanks in advance.

Id like to know as well,I saw him back during the REM Green tour(or was it fables of the reconstruction?) either way he was much better than the headliners and they weren't bad themselves but I never really delved into his catalog though its been in my to do list for years.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 02:30
Easy answer: I Often Dream of Trains. Seen him recreate it live a couple of times, and its best tracks are things of spectral beauty, wry and autumnal, loaded with lyrics about death, with the occasional fun ad hoc comedy interlude. I guess you could call it his Madcap Laughs to Underwater Moonlight's Piper at the Gates of Dawn. After that it's a little less obvious, though a couple of his works with Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians are way, way up there: Fegmania and the wonderful live album Gotta Let This Hen Out. Being as the band was basically a stripped down jingle-jangly Soft Boys, the latter contains a few Soft Boys numbers, and in the best tradition of Get Yer Ya Yas Out, it actually pips the studio versions in several cases. Of course, if you really want the true Live Hitchcock Experience, you should edit in snippets of some surreal verbiage from any interview on youtube in between the songs. After that, I guess Eye was one of his biggest U.S. "hits". The Soft Boys' earlier Can Of Bees is worth hearing for a bit of an effete blast. And the rest of his catalogue is full of gems, and occasionally dodgy production. The darker folky solo albums are usually the way to go to avoid that particular pitfall (I hear his latest was as straight-up folk as he's ever gone).
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2015, 13:38
Sep 02, 2015, 11:59
I'm a fan & do think he's hit a good patch in the last 8-10 years. His 2006 album (with Venus 3) "Ole Tarantula" is a favourite of mine (& I think the inner sleeve photo may be by Julian?!)

I don't think you can go too wrong with a trip back to 1981 for "Black Snake Diamond Röle". You could try the box "I wanna go backwards" which has this album, and also "I Often Dream Of Trains" & "Eye". The extras cds with this box "While Thatcher Mauled Britain '81-'90" are good IMHO as they contain a fair bit of stuff that was on the great 1986 demo/outtakes collection "Invisible Hitchcock".

Jumping in the 90s, I'd recommend "Storefront Hitchcock - Music From The Jonathan Demme Picture" which is a live acoustic album, but well worth seeing the full video film for maximum RH!

2004s "Spooked" with Gillian Welch in tow is a good recent one, in his "return to form" recent period!

It wouldn't be right to leave out RH & The Egyptians "Fegmania!" 1985. That's also contained in the "Luminous Groove" box from 2008, which also contains "Element Of Light" and a load of demos/outtakes.

RH And The Egyptians "Greatest Hits" might also be a go to option.

Hope that's a start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlPmwIRI-Cs
Bolox2
110 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 18:38
Try this: http://everybodysdummy.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/robyn%20hitchcock it's reasonably good.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 20:32
Hmmm ... imho, you can't really go wrong as it's all good.

If in doubt, you can always check out any of the numerous free live show recordings, see what floats your boat and track the songs back to their albums of origin:
https://archive.org/details/RobynHitchcock?&sort=-downloads&page=2

Some personal faves are; I Often Dream of Trains 1984, Fegmania! 1985,
Element of Light 1986, Eye 1990, Moss Elixir 1996.

They've mostly been re-issued multiple times and seem to have more bonus tracks added with each outing. A lot of them are available via Ebay for £5 or less, so I'd probably just start with whatever you find cheapest and go from there.
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 21:55
Thanks my friend! Nice link!
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 21:56
Thanks for the link!