Robyn Hitchcock where to start / what to buy

8 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Robyn Hitchcock where to start / what to buy
Sep 02, 2015, 02:30
Easy answer: I Often Dream of Trains. Seen him recreate it live a couple of times, and its best tracks are things of spectral beauty, wry and autumnal, loaded with lyrics about death, with the occasional fun ad hoc comedy interlude. I guess you could call it his Madcap Laughs to Underwater Moonlight's Piper at the Gates of Dawn. After that it's a little less obvious, though a couple of his works with Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians are way, way up there: Fegmania and the wonderful live album Gotta Let This Hen Out. Being as the band was basically a stripped down jingle-jangly Soft Boys, the latter contains a few Soft Boys numbers, and in the best tradition of Get Yer Ya Yas Out, it actually pips the studio versions in several cases. Of course, if you really want the true Live Hitchcock Experience, you should edit in snippets of some surreal verbiage from any interview on youtube in between the songs. After that, I guess Eye was one of his biggest U.S. "hits". The Soft Boys' earlier Can Of Bees is worth hearing for a bit of an effete blast. And the rest of his catalogue is full of gems, and occasionally dodgy production. The darker folky solo albums are usually the way to go to avoid that particular pitfall (I hear his latest was as straight-up folk as he's ever gone).

Unsung Forum Index