Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Van Morrison catalogue from 1971 onward now with Sony Legacy (Warners material is now coming from Rhino)

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

How the albums were made
Aug 28, 2015, 11:31
One of the few times I've bought Uncut was this year - May, Issue 216 - which had a bloody good feature of Van's recording process album by album, with interviews with his collaborators on each, eg Hayes, Labes, Messenger, Platania and Pee Wee, as well as an interview with Van. A fascinating totally recommended read well worth tracking down as a back issue by those interested that missed it. I've lost touch with his recent output but saw him quite a few times between '75-'99 and have experienced him when he's 'on' and channelling from a few feet away, including with The Chieftains in front of an audience of two hundred or so, and as a result will forgive the guy just about anything. A privilege. I don't doubt that the Sony remasters will be fine, but don't expect much in the way of extras as most of his stuff is first or second take. An album of vintage live stuff would be my holy grail, eg more from the Too Late To Stop Now tour, most of which was recorded, and yup, The Chieftains. The Universal reissues were apparently halted by Van in protest at their lack of support for his then current album.

Unsung Forum Index