Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Van Morrison catalogue from 1971 onward now with Sony Legacy (Warners material is now coming from Rhino)

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Aug 27, 2015, 17:02
Van Morrison catalogue from 1971 onward now with Sony Legacy (Warners material is now coming from Rhino)
Aug 26, 2015, 13:46
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/144874/sony-s-legacy-recordings-acquire-van-morrison-cata
This is good news for the main part. The majority of Van Morrison's back catalogue has just been placed with Sony Legacy. Looks like this is everything from 1971 onwards and the Them material.
But it also appears to skip the era that Astral Weeks came out in and the Bang material, which is the bad news,. At least the Astral weeks part.
Hope whatever limbo that has slipped into is going to be unravelled before too long, since it has already ben way too long since there wasa decent remaster.

Anyway great to see that 70s catalogue about to reappear, hope nothing turns up to screw that up. There were some pretty decent remasters of that material about 8 years ago that disappeared off shelves local to me apparently overnight and never reappeared. I always wondered why, hopefully this imminent reissue series will render that moot. Do hope these are done as well as they can be with the quality of relevant bonus tracks kept high. & liner notes written by decent writers.

Stevo

PS looks nastily like this may be digital only with no physical cds. Hope not.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Re: Van Morrison catalogue from 1971 onward now with Sony Legacy
Aug 26, 2015, 16:11
Finally !

will be nice to have
St. Dominic's & Veedon
back in print !
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Astral Weeks & Band & Street Corner getting Rhino Deluxe reissues now
Aug 27, 2015, 16:35
http://theseconddisc.com/2015/08/27/breaking-return-to-cypress-avenue-rhino-remasters-expands-van-morrisons-astral-weeks-his-band-and-the-street-choir/
Astral Weeks and band & Street Choir getting Rhino Deluxe treatment at the end of October too
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Aug 28, 2015, 04:02
My thoughts exactly. Very pleased to hear this.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2015, 12:36
Aug 28, 2015, 07:47
Not sure if Veedon is getting physical rather than digital release.
The Uncut news story on this mentions 4 Legacy Deluxe releases St Dominic's Preview,It's Too Late To Stop Now, Hard Nose The Highway and then a massive jump forward to Enlightenment. Which is from '90 i think.
No physical release mentioned for other stuff so far, in what is mainly a digital series. No mention at all of Tupelo Honey, which Van appears to dislike.

Not sure if it's complete coincidence that Rhino news came so soon after the Sony. But expanded remasters of Astral Weeks and Band & Street Choir at end of October.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

How the albums were made
Aug 28, 2015, 11:31
One of the few times I've bought Uncut was this year - May, Issue 216 - which had a bloody good feature of Van's recording process album by album, with interviews with his collaborators on each, eg Hayes, Labes, Messenger, Platania and Pee Wee, as well as an interview with Van. A fascinating totally recommended read well worth tracking down as a back issue by those interested that missed it. I've lost touch with his recent output but saw him quite a few times between '75-'99 and have experienced him when he's 'on' and channelling from a few feet away, including with The Chieftains in front of an audience of two hundred or so, and as a result will forgive the guy just about anything. A privilege. I don't doubt that the Sony remasters will be fine, but don't expect much in the way of extras as most of his stuff is first or second take. An album of vintage live stuff would be my holy grail, eg more from the Too Late To Stop Now tour, most of which was recorded, and yup, The Chieftains. The Universal reissues were apparently halted by Van in protest at their lack of support for his then current album.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

singles
Aug 30, 2015, 21:40
>I don't doubt that the Sony remasters will be fine, but don't expect much in the way of extras as most of his stuff is first or second take.

Confoundingly, there are still non-album singles by Van that have never had a digital release afaik. Not a complete list:

You Got The Power
Caledonia
What's Up, Crazy Pup?
Mechanical Bliss
Mr. Thomas (unless this was on THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE but that may be an alternate take)

There's another one from the early 70s I'm forgetting I think.
carol27
747 posts

Re: How the albums were made
Aug 31, 2015, 17:40
spencer wrote:
One of the few times I've bought Uncut was this year - May, Issue 216 - which had a bloody good feature of Van's recording process album by album, with interviews with his collaborators on each, eg Hayes, Labes, Messenger, Platania and Pee Wee, as well as an interview with Van. A fascinating totally recommended read well worth tracking down as a back issue by those interested that missed it. I've lost touch with his recent output but saw him quite a few times between '75-'99 and have experienced him when he's 'on' and channelling from a few feet away, including with The Chieftains in front of an audience of two hundred or so, and as a result will forgive the guy just about anything. A privilege. I don't doubt that the Sony remasters will be fine, but don't expect much in the way of extras as most of his stuff is first or second take. An album of vintage live stuff would be my holy grail, eg more from the Too Late To Stop Now tour, most of which was recorded, and yup, The Chieftains. The Universal reissues were apparently halted by Van in protest at their lack of support for his then current album.

I too have been lucky enough to see Van on numerous occasions with different band members & they have been some of the most euphoric experiences of my life. He's a bloody grumpy bastard though & some of my friends do not "get "it at all. Do any of you find this? Most of my stuff is on scratchy old inherited vinyl so some remasters would be good.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Sep 01, 2015, 21:41
When Van's in the mood you get an unforgettable show which will elate you for a month. When he's not, you'd be better off staying at home sticking matchsticks down your fingernails. It's a lottery, but you've gotta be in it to win it!
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Sep 01, 2015, 23:15
Sep 01, 2015, 23:00
If folk want some 'out there' Van at their fingertips there's some cracking live stuff on youtube now.. try Into The Mystic @Beat Club, or 7 24 73, or the Musik Laden and Montreux '74 stuff, plus there's some official youtube stuff, some with few views that's ace too. I must confess this topic's got me back in mega-Van mode, first time for a bit. Lots of youtube plus Veedon. Just wish I could play my vinyl...eee, Snow In San Anselmo off Hard Nose, full volume.....
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index