Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 July 2015 CE
Jul 26, 2015, 13:54
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge over troubled water

Swans - The Great Annihilator

Carlos Santana & John Mclaughlin - Love, Devotion, Surrender

Ursula Rucker - Silver or Lead

Run DMC - Raising Hell

Funkadelic - Lets take it to the stage, Cosmic Slop

Boris - Mabuta no ura. Couldn't find the similar sounding supposed classic from the same year I think, but this was a worthy substitute. All brought about by listening to the freakzone last sunday, also leading me to search out l'infonie (who did a cover of Terry Riley's In C sounding more like Miles Davis which is a plus point for me, but couldn't find the particular album it was from on Spotify)and tape (norweigen band that weren't as good as the particular track on the radio). Listened to Altar with Sunn 0))) too, but wasn't that keen! Oh yeah, and re-sound doing In C too which was a definite highlight.

Been listening to a fair bit of Radio4 and 4 extra on the iplayer recently too. Some programme celebrating 100 years of Einstein's theory of special relativity (from 2005), Stephen Fry interviewing JK Rowling about HP from about 10 years ago too, Philip Pullman talking about his correspondences with his English teacher, and a smashing programme about what is considered acceptable down the years in the form of song (called taboo be doo - go check it out). Led me to check out some Tom Lehrer. Some definite peaks in his repertoire, but i think poisoning pigeons in the park was my fav. 2nd episode featured the presenter Terrence Blacker in a guitar duo, testing out audience reaction to some challenging songs likely to cause offence at a festival.A fascinating experiment.

Their own composition about middle aged men trying it on is very prescient, funny and essential listening.

listen here 26.40 mins in http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0128fkh
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index