Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 July 2015 CE
Jul 25, 2015, 19:57
Now the Road of Knives - Gravitar

Norwegianism, Raus Aus Stavanger and One-Way Ticket To Candyland - MoHa!

Hypermagic Mountain - Lightning Bolt

Mellow Out - Mainliner

Strange Warmings Of Laddio Bolocko - Laddio Bolocko

Bitches Brew Live - Miles Davis
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 26, 2015, 10:00
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 July 2015 CE
Jul 26, 2015, 07:18
Bowie - All Saints: Collected Instrumentals 1977-1999
Bowie - Station To Station
George Faith - To Be A Lover
African Dub Vols 1 & 3
Oil City Confidential

Roger Waters - Amused To Death (2015 Remix)
This sounds fantastic. The politics clatter and bang about without much subtlety but then we often need a bit of that in our music, especially now. You wont get this from Ed Sheeran or from Rush for that matter. As a listening experience it is sonically overwhelming.

Fugazi - First Demo
Sounding like a cross between Budgie and the Pop Group these recordings have loads more air and anger in them than the more claustrophobic sounding sessions that collectively produced 13 Songs. Popular music that is actually about something but still intrinsically great rock n roll. Who knew? Just brilliant.

Charlotte Church - 3 & 4
These eps sound to me very much like the product of Teena Marie joining the Eurythmics. It's oddly subversive knowing how she got to this place. Wonder if the next one will reflect her engagement in UK Uncut etc. Would be wonderful if she recorded something like Robert Wyatt's "Alliance".
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jul 26, 2015, 10:12
Neil Young & Promise of the Real 'The Monsanto Years' - Shakey's in angry mode again, directing an entire album against Monsanto, Starbucks and Safeway. It's mostly one-take stuff with some pretty shoddy playing and over-strained vocals, and some of Young's lyrics could've done with a rethought, yet the whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts here. There's something mysteriously addictive - even charming - about these bitter little songs, particularly on the DVD version which to my ears sounds clearer and brighter than the underproduced CD it's bundled with. And in Promise of the Real, Neil's found himself a younger, more vibrant version of Crazy Horse no less. I must check out some of their own music;

The Who 'Quadrophenia' - forget the new rockless approach to Townshend's best rock opera: the 1973 original remains, by far, the best version. In fact, playing this again after several years has enlightened me of just how great this is. The Who never sounded tighter or more jaw-droppingly versatile than this. I'd direct the uninitiated to the instrumental title track which acts as a compact, perfectly realised overture for the whole thing;

Japan 'Tin Drum' - Sylvian's now thankfully abandoned Ferryisms aside, this - along with its equally fine predecessor 'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' - still sounds pretty damned innovative and unique to me. Every member is on top of his game here, not least Richard Barbieri who applies his art with exquisite subtlety and taste: like prime Miles, the spaces between the notes being as vital as the notes themselves;

Andy Sheppard Quartet 'Surrounded By Sea' - ECM by numbers this may be, but that's no bad thing when delivered with such purity and charm as here. Yet Sheppard manages to sound vital and original with none of the near-MOR dullness that has afflicted so much of Jan Garbarek's recent output.

Also dipped into the EMI Ikon box set devoted to the seriously underrated conductor Eugen Jochum, including a marvellous Brahms Fourth which put a familiar work into a whole new light for me. Can't wait to hear more.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jul 26, 2015, 11:22
Neil's not a great producer. David Brigg's loss is still felt, imo. I've ranted here before that I wish he'd team up with Rick Rubin. Live versions of the Monsanto stuff are way better.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jul 26, 2015, 11:49
The Astronauts - Peter Pan Hits The Suburbs / Only Fools & Optimists

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (US Mono)

Kate Bush - Never For Ever

Cleaners From venus - Living With Victoria Grey

Ornette Coleman - Something Else! / The Shape of Jazz To Come / Free Jazz

Alice Coltrane - Eternity

John Coltrane - Coltrane / Transition / Sun Ship / Kulu Se Mama / Live in Paris / Offering

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Eric Dolphy - Homeward Bound / Out There / Last Date

Focus Group - Sketches & Spells

Fresh Maggots - Hatched

Honey Ltd - Complete LHI Recordings

Perry Leopold - Experiment In Metaphysics

Love - Da Capo

Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance

Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame / Birds of Fire

Neon Pearl - 1967 Recordings

The Owl Service - Garland Sessions

Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle

Pink Floyd - From Abbey Road To Britannia Row / Pinkie Milkie

Public Image Ltd - Extra Issue (Rainbow 1978) / Russell Club, Manchester 1979

Psychic TV - Jack Or Die (Rayleigh Pink Toothbrush 1988) / Coral Room, NYC 2003

Quintessence - Epitaph For Tomorrow

Alasdair Roberts - The Crook Of My Arm / Too Long In This Condition

The Roches - S/t

Sex Pistols - Anarchy Live At The '76 Club / Pirates of Destiny

Sonic Youth - Evol / Sister

Teardrop Explodes - Wilder (deluxe)

The United States of America - S/t

Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat (deluxe)

The Who - Tommy

Wizards of Kansas - S/t

Jah Wobble - The Legend Lives On: Jah Wobble in Betrayal

Stevie Wonder - Inner Visions
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jul 26, 2015, 13:54
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge over troubled water

Swans - The Great Annihilator

Carlos Santana & John Mclaughlin - Love, Devotion, Surrender

Ursula Rucker - Silver or Lead

Run DMC - Raising Hell

Funkadelic - Lets take it to the stage, Cosmic Slop

Boris - Mabuta no ura. Couldn't find the similar sounding supposed classic from the same year I think, but this was a worthy substitute. All brought about by listening to the freakzone last sunday, also leading me to search out l'infonie (who did a cover of Terry Riley's In C sounding more like Miles Davis which is a plus point for me, but couldn't find the particular album it was from on Spotify)and tape (norweigen band that weren't as good as the particular track on the radio). Listened to Altar with Sunn 0))) too, but wasn't that keen! Oh yeah, and re-sound doing In C too which was a definite highlight.

Been listening to a fair bit of Radio4 and 4 extra on the iplayer recently too. Some programme celebrating 100 years of Einstein's theory of special relativity (from 2005), Stephen Fry interviewing JK Rowling about HP from about 10 years ago too, Philip Pullman talking about his correspondences with his English teacher, and a smashing programme about what is considered acceptable down the years in the form of song (called taboo be doo - go check it out). Led me to check out some Tom Lehrer. Some definite peaks in his repertoire, but i think poisoning pigeons in the park was my fav. 2nd episode featured the presenter Terrence Blacker in a guitar duo, testing out audience reaction to some challenging songs likely to cause offence at a festival.A fascinating experiment.

Their own composition about middle aged men trying it on is very prescient, funny and essential listening.

listen here 26.40 mins in http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0128fkh
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jul 26, 2015, 15:19
Or even Daniel Le Noise again.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jul 26, 2015, 22:28
Field Music – Music for Drifters

Baron – Torpor. Both this and the Field Music album have really benefitted from repeat listens over the period of a few months, teasing out the details. Still don’t know when the Baron album is due to drop (probably Sept/Oct), but when it does, it’s a must for any fans of that slightly mystical strand of British rock from the 70s – early Sabbath, Traffic, Dark, Trees etc.

Klaus Schulze – Black Dance

Manfred Mann Chapter Three – s/t. Great heavy jazzy rock, if a bit too sludgy in places. Just finished reading Crisis, What Crisis? by Alwyn Turner, an entertaining social history of the 70s, which inspired this listen by referencing the track ‘Konekuf’ ie. ‘fuk enok’ backwards.

Om – Pilgrimage

The Budos Band – Burnt Offering

E-GONE – All the Suns of the Earth

The Bees – Sunshine Hit Me. Great in the, err, sunshine if you can find any…
Beebon
1375 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 08:06
This week consisted of:

Grateful Dead - 05.21.1977 Live Lakeland Civic Arena, Florida
Grateful Dead - 04.14.1972 - Tivoli, Copenhagen
Grateful Dead - 04.22.3978 Live Municipal Auditorium - Nashville
Pink Floyd - Darkside Of The Moon
Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream
Creedene Clearwater Revival - Green River
V/A - Appalachian Stomp Bluegrass Classics

Most evenings I have listened to The Proms on Radio 3 as classical is my girlfriend's scene. I have especially enjoyed the Stravinsky that has been played and the Beethoven Piano Concertos. This evening there is a performance of Holt's The Planets which I am especially looking forward to!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2015, 08:43
Jul 27, 2015, 08:28
Beebon wrote:
This week consisted of:

Grateful Dead - 05.21.1977 Live Lakeland Civic Arena, Florida
Grateful Dead - 04.14.1972 - Tivoli, Copenhagen
Grateful Dead - 04.22.3978 Live Municipal Auditorium - Nashville
Pink Floyd - Darkside Of The Moon
Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream
Creedene Clearwater Revival - Green River
V/A - Appalachian Stomp Bluegrass Classics

Most evenings I have listened to The Proms on Radio 3 as classical is my girlfriend's scene. I have especially enjoyed the Stravinsky that has been played and the Beethoven Piano Concertos. This evening there is a performance of Holt's The Planets which I am especially looking forward to!

Love the Proms and the whole vibe in the hall. There are a few elitist types who enjoy tutting away but generally it has stayed true to its roots.

Not sure what the BBC pay to broadcast the concerts but suspect that is partly what helps keep the seat prices pretty reasonable. Dread the idea of the O2 Proms or the Vitality Proms if the BBC are ultimately forced to pull out of such ventures.

For '77 Dead I can highly recommend these shows if you like the Estimated Prophet > Scarlet Behonias > Fire On The Mountain > Terrpain Station type sequences ....

NYC Palladium 05 04 77
New Haven 05 05 77
Boston 05 07 77
Cornell 05 08 77
Buffalo 05 09 77

The cds are pacKed away in boxes but I 99% sure I have those dates the US way around ie month first.

Love Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream too. Was one of my big sister's favourite records and was part of my transition from glam pop to prog and art rock circa 73. Sounds a wee bit quaint now arrangement wise but there are some fantastic tunes in there.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index