Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2015, 09:20
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 July 2015 CE
Jul 27, 2015, 09:13
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Japan 'Tin Drum' - Sylvian's now thankfully abandoned Ferryisms aside, this - along with its equally fine predecessor 'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' - still sounds pretty damned innovative and unique to me. Every member is on top of his game here, not least Richard Barbieri who applies his art with exquisite subtlety and taste: like prime Miles, the spaces between the notes being as vital as the notes themselves;

They were one of my favourite bands 78-82 ish. I can recommend all the pre Virgin records but especially the first one and Quiet Life. The disco plus art rock guitar sound was pretty unusual and they had a groovier rhythm section than Simple Minds. I don't hear him as a Ferry copyist mainly because he lets his natural accent come out among the occasional Americanisms. I could be wrong but Young Americans / Station To Station were I think more the template than Roxy Music (who also had trouble with holding down a groove until Andy Newmark showed up).
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2015, 10:46
Jul 27, 2015, 10:45
IanB wrote:
Beebon wrote:
This week consisted of:

Grateful Dead - 05.21.1977 Live Lakeland Civic Arena, Florida
Grateful Dead - 04.14.1972 - Tivoli, Copenhagen
Grateful Dead - 04.22.3978 Live Municipal Auditorium - Nashville
Pink Floyd - Darkside Of The Moon
Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream
Creedene Clearwater Revival - Green River
V/A - Appalachian Stomp Bluegrass Classics

Most evenings I have listened to The Proms on Radio 3 as classical is my girlfriend's scene. I have especially enjoyed the Stravinsky that has been played and the Beethoven Piano Concertos. This evening there is a performance of Holt's The Planets which I am especially looking forward to!

Love the Proms and the whole vibe in the hall. There are a few elitist types who enjoy tutting away but generally it has stayed true to its roots.

Not sure what the BBC pay to broadcast the concerts but suspect that is partly what helps keep the seat prices pretty reasonable. Dread the idea of the O2 Proms or the Vitality Proms if the BBC are ultimately forced to pull out of such ventures.

For '77 Dead I can highly recommend these shows if you like the Estimated Prophet > Scarlet Behonias > Fire On The Mountain > Terrpain Station type sequences ....

NYC Palladium 05 04 77
New Haven 05 05 77
Boston 05 07 77
Cornell 05 08 77
Buffalo 05 09 77

The cds are pacKed away in boxes but I 99% sure I have those dates the US way around ie month first.

Love Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream too. Was one of my big sister's favourite records and was part of my transition from glam pop to prog and art rock circa 73. Sounds a wee bit quaint now arrangement wise but there are some fantastic tunes in there.

I love the Moodys too. I dug out Seventh Sojourn yesterday. I love the quaintness of them - the clunky melotron, eveything :)

As for the proms, saw the Stravinsky Dumbarton Oaks with the Beethoven Piano Concerto on BBC2 iPlayer the other night - really enjoyed it actually.
Beebon
1375 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 11:27
IanB wrote:

For '77 Dead I can highly recommend these shows if you like the Estimated Prophet > Scarlet Behonias > Fire On The Mountain > Terrpain Station type sequences ....

NYC Palladium 05 04 77
New Haven 05 05 77
Boston 05 07 77
Cornell 05 08 77
Buffalo 05 09 77

The cds are pacKed away in boxes but I 99% sure I have those dates the US way around ie month first.

Cheers! Yeah I have an audience tape recording of the Cornell 05.08.77 which is what got me started really on live dead, everything I have heard from May 1977 has been just brilliant!
Beebon
1375 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 11:29
Squid Tempest wrote:

I love the Moodys too. I dug out Seventh Sojourn yesterday. I love the quaintness of them - the clunky melotron, eveything :)

I love all the 'tron in their stuff too! :)
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jul 28, 2015, 12:13
Rather optimistically loaded up my MP3 player with summer sounds before heading off for a Queensland winter. After a cold start we quickly had temperatures in the upper 20s while by all accounts the UK had to endure rain and cold, so the following worked pretty well:

V/A - The Big Beat 1963
The Beach Boys - Keep An Eye On Summer: The 1964 Sessions

Thank you whoever decided to change UK copyright laws and force the record companies to release official bootlegs. The first of these collects Brian Wilson's unreleased early productions for The Beach Boys and others, while the second boils down several volumes of Unsurpassed Masters boots into the essential highlights. Revelatory stuff for someone who like me who'd never found the time to trawl through those Sea Of Tunes releases.

Jan & Dean - Jan & Dean Take Linda Surfin'
Jan & Dean - Surf City
Jan & Dean - Drag City
Jan & Dean - Dead Man's Curve/The New Girl In School
Jan & Dean - Ride The Wild Surf
Jan & Dean - The Little Old Lady From Pasadena

Jan Berry is often cited as being an overlooked rival to Brian Wilson in the production stakes, and there is certainly evidence of him being ahead of the game from Drag City onwards, with some big arrangements and occasional exotica-style instrumentals that beat Pet Sounds by more than a year. But the goofy humour, while occasionally endearing, does sometimes make them harder to take seriously, and the first two albums are almost entirely made up of songs that didn't need covering, including some lacklustre versions of Beach Boys hits. Like The Beach Boys they had a fondness for concept albums which occasionally resulted in songs appearing more than once, although Surf City wasn't such an auspicious start to this trend. The title is a classic of sorts, but doing an album of city songs forced them to take on some right hoary old chestnuts. The weirdest concept album is The Little Old Lady From Pasadena which mainly consists of songs about old people behaving like teenagers, culminating in a song about a 90-year old going topless. Yuck! At least The Beach Boys did J & D the honour of adding the title song to their live set.

The culmination of this week of listening was going to a local screening of the film Love & Mercy and having the whole cinema to myself. What a treat it is to see those Pet Sounds and Smile sessions recreated in such meticulous detail. Highly recommended.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2015, 17:09
Jul 28, 2015, 17:04
Grateful Dead - 07-09-95 Soldier Field , Chicago IL

Grateful Dead - 09-04-79 Madison Square Garden , NYC

The Grateful Dead - 05-19-66 Avalon Ballroom , San Francisco CA

The Grateful Dead - 07-16-66 Fillmore Auditorium , San Francisco CA

The Grateful Dead - 03-18-67 Winterland , San Francisco CA

The Grateful Dead - 06-18-67 Monterey Fairgrounds

Grateful Dead - 01-20-68 Eureka Municipal Auditorium

Grateful Dead - 01-17-68 Carousel Ballroom , San Francisco CA

Grateful Dead -12-29-68 (set 1) Gulfstream Park Race Track , Hallandale FL

Grateful Dead - unknown location / venue May 1968

Grateful Dead -01-17-69 Civic Auditorium , Santa Barbara CA

Grateful Dead - 09-28-75 Golden Gate Park

Grateful Dead - 06-09-76 Boston Music Hall (set 2)

Grateful Dead - 10-03-76 Cobo Arena , Detroit MI (set 2)

Grateful Dead - 10-03-80 Warfield Theatre , San Francisco CA (set 1 acoustic)

Grateful Dead - 04-28-71 Fillmore East , NYC

Moebius - Open Source Festival -Symposium "Transphone"

Sparks - Kimono My House

Sparks - Propaganda

Sparks - Indiscreet

Sparks - Big Beat

Jackie-O Motherfucker - Smiles
carol27
747 posts

Jul 28, 2015, 19:49
Since we're on a Dead theme......Bertha, Cassidy & Casey Jones going on & on..
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jul 28, 2015, 20:37
Running late this week. Two main repeats:

Cluster & Eno - Cluster & Eno
I finally got round to getting this a few months ago, and this week's sad news of Mr Moebius' passing seemed the perfect time to give it a proper listen. It's generally ace, all artists involved at the height of their powers. "Ho Renomo" is worthy of the price of admission all on its own.

Tim Hecker - Dropped Pianos
Even more minimal that the Ravedeath 1972 album that followed from the same period. Like this very much, minimalist piano ambience and dark atmosphere being right up my street.

Otherwise:

V/A - Life Companion (MOJO comp of blues, R&B, etc loosely tied to Keith Richards' autobiography). Lots of familiar stuff but decent.

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Rock 'n' Roll With The Modern Lovers
The Clash - (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais 7"
Joy Division - Transmission 7"

The Birthday Party - The Friend Catcher 7"
Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy 7"
Japan - Nightporter 7"
The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come
The Wedding Present - George Best

Aphex Twin - Girl/Boy EP
Autechre - Envane EP

Morrissey - World Peace Is None Of Your Business
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 29, 2015, 22:52
The Albums Collection - T.Rex
I've spent a lot of my life listening to T.Rex but the day that this boxset arrived was the first time I can recall listening to all 8 T.Rex LP's - from the classic transitional eponymous album to the enjoyable if at times Bolan-by-numbers Dandy In The Underworld - all in the same day. Also listened to the two bonus discs last week.

Also...
Velvet Trail - Marc Almond
Factory Recordings - Blurt
17 Seconds - The Cure
Into Forever - Eat Lights Become Lights
Taking Tiger Mountain - Eno
Who Is The Sender- Bill Fay
Tales Of Us - Goldfrapp
I'm Sick Of You! - Iggy & the Stooges
Lady From Shanghai - Pere Ubu
More Songs About Buildings & Food - Talking Heads
Spirit Of Eden - Talk Talk