20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 June 2015 CE
Jun 28, 2015, 20:07
More stuff this week from the Ono-Tesla Islington Mill shop:

Koryo Saito - Mirage. Multi-instrumentalist, Japanese folk. Didn't get on with it on first listens but it's grown on me during the week and is now on heavy rotation. Mountains is just a wonderful track.

Shareholder - Jimmy Chan. Lo-fi (think Monoshock) post-punk from Edinburgh, with Mark E Fall vocal delivery. Ono-Tesla mention Neil Young too and I see where they're coming from especially on the longer tracks - in terms of structure and some chord progressions (at a push!). Absolutely love the third track Devours. You can download the whole thing from Bandcamp for free but they deserve to be paid proper money for this!

AHRKH - Tone Mantra. Great drone from Gnod drummer.

From the Little Crackd Rabbit label:
Hypnodrone Ensemble - The Shape of Space. Excellent space rock from Nadja bloke and mates.
PJ Philipson - Peaks. Solo ambient guitar noodlings inspired by the Peak District

Urthona - Hearing Secret Harmonies. Possibly my favourite Urthona release. Still heavy rural but many textured layers...and secret harmonies. Fantastic. Lovely t-shirts available too!

Blown Out - Jet Black Hallucinations. Mike Vest rocks

Bong - We are, we were and we will have been. Drool. Mike Vest rocks

And whilst we're in the northeast of England...

Susan Stenger - Sound Strata of Coastal Northumberland. American sound artist inspired by an 1840 geological cross section of the coastal cliffs from Tyne to Tweed. CD of an art installation touring Northumberland. Drone and folk piece (much of the drone created from processed local folk musicians but also features Attila Cshir (SunnO))) death metal vocalist) at one point. Hoping to see the installation on Holy Island with a Stenger concert in a local church late summer...

E-Gone - All the Suns of the Earth. Got this earlier in the year. Fantastic Swedish multi-instrumentalist mixing drone, folk, raga, everything...

From the archives:

Cluster - Sowieso
The Goner - Behold a New Traveller. E-Gone's previous incarnation.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index