Coltrane - Complete Africa / Brass
Misty - Peel Sessions
Misty - Live At The Counter Eurovision
Ruts - Peel Sessions
The Mars Volta - Scab Dates
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down
Kuniko - Iannis Xenakis
Fugazi - First Demo
Giltrap / Wakeman - Ravens & Lullabies (thanks Moonie)
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 May 2015 CE
May 26, 2015, 12:09
IanB wrote:

Via Squid that is...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

May 26, 2015, 13:37
Moon Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:

Via Squid that is...

Good to see it getting a listen. I'd recommend them live if you get a chance - a charming pair of chaps, with a decent band. The singer is great, way over the top with lacey sleeves n stuff :)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 26, 2015, 14:05
Squid Tempest wrote:
Try HQ next for Roy Harper. Or Bullinamingvase or Lifemask, or maybe Flat, Baroque and Beserk.

That Giltrap/Wakeman album - tiz true about the cheeze quotient, but over-the-top singalong after a couple of glasses of red (beer would be too coarse).

Thanks for info.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

May 26, 2015, 16:35
Moon Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Try HQ next for Roy Harper. Or Bullinamingvase or Lifemask, or maybe Flat, Baroque and Beserk.

That Giltrap/Wakeman album - tiz true about the cheeze quotient, but over-the-top singalong after a couple of glasses of red (beer would be too coarse).

Thanks for info.

The Game on HQ is possibly my favourite Roy track. Hallucinating Light is pretty ace too. Bullinamingvase would be far superior without the jokey Watford Gap IMO, but is a great album apart from that.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

May 27, 2015, 03:07
I agree with Squid - HQ should be the one most suited to your sonic palate next.. but really all Roy's Harvest output is top. What hasn't been mentioned is his live album Flashes From The Archives Of Oblivion, which has echoplexed wigouts and madness you should like, as well as the drop dead gorgeous orchestrated Another Day. My own fave depends on my mood. Lifemask is my most frequent pick, but Flat Baroque And Berserk is a sweet, lovely thing, a farewell to the sixties. You've got some listening to do...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 27, 2015, 05:26
Thanks. I expect this will be a gradual thing where serendipity plays its part.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

May 27, 2015, 13:49
I think Live at Les Cousins pips Flashes- for me at least it's my second favourite Harper offering after Stormcock. He seems in weirdly earnest form throughout, maybe because, as he mentions, he was out of weed. Things go wrong throughout- broken strings, false starts, forgotten lyrics- but it really feels like you were there with him, and it's an incredible performance. The final version of I Hate the White Man was taken, unedited, from this set. His really long, rambling intros to each song are extremely endearing, too. If you're not a fan of wayward minstrelsy and would prefer something slicker, I'd give it a miss, but personality wins out every time for me.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 27, 2015, 22:55
Sin Agog wrote:
I think Live at Les Cousins pips Flashes- for me at least it's my second favourite Harper offering after Stormcock. He seems in weirdly earnest form throughout, maybe because, as he mentions, he was out of weed. Things go wrong throughout- broken strings, false starts, forgotten lyrics- but it really feels like you were there with him, and it's an incredible performance. The final version of I Hate the White Man was taken, unedited, from this set. His really long, rambling intros to each song are extremely endearing, too. If you're not a fan of wayward minstrelsy and would prefer something slicker, I'd give it a miss, but personality wins out every time for me.

Again, thanks for Harperment. Reckon I'll make some notes and see how things flow. No urgency, no race - just nice things to sniff along the way.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index