Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 April 2015 CE
Apr 26, 2015, 21:56
Kid Calamity wrote:

Black Tempest: 'Darkness...' The black hit of space.

I like that - thanks Kid :)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 22:47
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Yes - Going For The One
Steve Hackett - Wolflight
The Enid - In The Region of Summer Stars

Jethro Tull - Broadsword and the Beast
Really enjoyed this, I wasn't that impressed with it when I heard it before.

White Hills - Walks For Motorists
This is SOOO good. Possibly their best album, and I love everything they've done. Bloody brilliant.

Vinyl:

11 Paranoias - Stealing Fire From Heaven
Cranium Pie - Mechanisms Part II
The Heads - Nobody Knows

Gnod - Infinity Machines
I agree with Riverman, this is a total cracker.

Electric Wizard - Time To Die
Heavy, riffin and a stormer.

That new White Hills is immense, isn't it?

Love Tull's "Broadsword" album too. 'Pussywillow' is one of my fave songs by anyone ever for the melodies and the sentiment behind it.
keith a
9574 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 22:49
Modern Life Is rubbish - Blur

Singles Going Steady - Buzzcocks

III - Follakzoid

Waiting For A Sign - Githead

Real Life - Magazine
Second Hand Daylight - Magazine
The Correct Use Of Soap - Magazine

S/T - Modern Lovers

Shadow Of The Sun - Moon Duo

You Are The Quarry - Morrissey

Carnival Of Souls - Pere Ubu

Release - Pet Shop Boys
Fundamental / Fundamentalism - Pet Shop Boys

Observator - The Raveonettes

Restless Idylls - Tropic Of Cancer

Chairs Missing - Wire
154 - Wire
S/T - Wire

Making Music - Bill Withers

It's Blitz - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 23:27
Storm Corrosion - st. such a great album

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk (with extra sniffs) . Lush!
Jethro Tull - This Was/Benefit - Rock the cod!

Goat - Communion. Possibly lacks the initial "WOW" factor of the debut, but a definite absorber and grower. I like what they do very much, and the first track is totally wonderful. Much to enjoy.

AC/DC - Rock or Bust
Steve Hackett - Wolfight. I am becoming a bit obsessed with this. I really like it so much. It just makes me very, very happy. It's completely absurd in some ways, but that's where I gravitate to.

Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time. Finally heard this on CD via local library and it sounds great, total Hawkpower.

Wort- Worts n all
Mediaeval Baebes - Undrentide
Cassius - 1999
Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland

Have a nice week x
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Apr 26, 2015, 23:43
Apr 26, 2015, 23:38
New:

The Drink – Company. The album (in fact a compilation of EPs) came out right at the end of last year, but only became aware of them a couple of weeks ago when I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhig_MTEOI which I really hope you watch because it’s One Of The Best Songs I’ve heard in ages, a deliriously brilliant mash-up of Slint, Throwing Muses and Mellow Candle. The album has a few other goodies, but really, this is The One. And then by a bizarre coincidence, I see that they’re playing my local pub for free. Singer/guitarist Dearbhla Minogue is a real talent, despite being seemingly embarrassed by her chops, which are plentiful – the last non-album song of their main set featured a great extended piece of exploratory guitar which she played turned away from the audience.

Jane Weaver – The Amber Light. Companion album to The Silver Globe. Nice, couple of very Broadcast-y tracks plus remixes, the pick of which is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-b1Fzh4Jk8

Van Der Graaf Generator – After The Flood. The BBC sessions album. Pretty exhausting if you listen to it all in one go ;-) but an essential purchase for fans. On first listen, I reckon ‘Darkness’ (71 session), ‘Still Life’ and ‘When She Comes’ top their official versions.

Jackson Scott – Sunshine Redux. Another one of these 12 year old neo-psych bedroom auteurs. Half is nonsense, half is actually pretty bloody good: https://soundcloud.com/bloodmoss-records/jackson-scott-ripe-for-love-official-single

Huntsville – Pond. From the endless production line of drone/improv/what-the-hell-let’s-call-it-krautrock/imaginary movie soundtracks. Bits of it OK, but hard to think of a reason to play it again.

GNOD – Infinity Machines. Lasts about a week, but yes, there’s a lot of compelling stuff here. The voices bizarrely keep making me think of a jazz/ambient/industrial take on Dark Side Of The Moon.

Goran Kajfeš Subtropic Arkestra – The Reason Why Vol. 2. If you only buy one global psychedelic jazz album this year…

Unfiled pile:

Bob Mould – Beauty and Ruin. There’s at least a couple of cracking tracks on this, up there with Husker Du (which is the kind of comment that Mould probably punches walls to): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMg883LNsM

Smoke Fairies – s/t. I don’t know, maybe this could have done with some pruning, and there’s times you wish they’d just Go For It a bit more, but it’s still a great album. Found myself welling up like an idiot to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YixON9Z-PwY

Dans Dans – 3. Belgian noir jazz twangers, getting an official UK release in a couple of weeks’ time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4AcYShjzFY

Purson – The Circle And The Blue Door. A couple of so so tracks aside, I really enjoyed revisiting this. It’s shamelessly archival, but done with real verve, and Rosalie Cunningham has a great voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLc1-j9fNik

Random video clip of the week:

Shock Headed Peters – ‘I Bloodbrother Be’. Done for some 1980s arts show, priceless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MisfJux-dek
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Apr 27, 2015, 10:45
Moon Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Yes - Going For The One
The Enid - In The Region of Summer Stars

Jethro Tull - Broadsword and the Beast
Really enjoyed this, I wasn't that impressed with it when I heard it before.

White Hills - Walks For Motorists
This is SOOO good. Possibly their best album, and I love everything they've done. Bloody brilliant.

Vinyl:

11 Paranoias - Stealing Fire From Heaven
Cranium Pie - Mechanisms Part II
The Heads - Nobody Knows

Gnod - Infinity Machines
I agree with Riverman, this is a total cracker.

Electric Wizard - Time To Die
Heavy, riffin and a stormer.

That new White Hills is immense, isn't it?

Love Tull's "Broadsword" album too. 'Pussywillow' is one of my fave songs by anyone ever for the melodies and the sentiment behind it.

I thought of you while listening to Broadsword in the car yesterday - it is, somehow, a very Moon Cat album, if you don't mind me saying so :)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Apr 27, 2015, 13:56
Moon Cat wrote:
AC/DC - Rock or Bust

Bust, please
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Apr 27, 2015, 14:46
Fatalist wrote:
GNOD – Infinity Machines. Lasts about a week, but yes, there’s a lot of compelling stuff here. The voices bizarrely keep making me think of a jazz/ambient/industrial take on Dark Side Of The Moon.

Hah! I know what you mean. There's also a bit of a Throbbing Gristle feel to proceedings I think.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 27, 2015, 17:20
Not at all. It was actually the first Tull album I ever owned so it is quite special to me in that respect.

Slightly obsessed with "Wolflight" too. It's sort of absurd but so evocative and the way it flirts with prog-metal really ticks my boxes.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 28, 2015, 10:20
Apr 27, 2015, 18:07
Ahmad Zahir - Aye Nam Ghumat Taranae Man
This tune showed up in a key scene in Adam Curtis' "Bitter Lake". Lovely tune. Would like to explore further but there are simply too many records to go prospecting.

Boulez / Berlin Phil et al - Bartok Piano Concertos
Highly recommend the central slow movements of #2 and #3 to anyone who is unfamiliar with the composer or like me likes music that stands time still.

As Mooncat points out this is a record of fabulous excesses. He can't sing but I don't care.

Marillion - Early Stages: The Highlights
Love this stuff. In his pomp Fish was a great front man up there with Lynott and co. Worth the price of admission for the way he sings the word "lager" alone. You don't get that on a Genesis record!

Anna Netrebko: Rachmaninov "O ne rydai, mai Paolo"
Heard this on a promo video for Brussels' La Monnaie theatre. I must have played that clip thirty times on the spin. Just gorgeous.

Camel - Snow Goose (deluxe)
Speaking of people who can't sing. I got this for the two live BBC versions - one complete and one a medley of tunes from the album. I saw them on that tour at the New London Theatre without an orchestra or gubbins and the Snow Goose section was the least interesting part. Sounds much better that I remember in these recordings even if it basically consists of some Animals-esque Floyd vamps and Caravan off-cuts jammed together. The studio version is still pretty anodyne.

Kate Bush - Lionheart
Kate Bush - Never For Ever
Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There? - The Wall Live 1980-81
Fripp - Wine of Silence
Carlo Bergonzi - Italian Songs
von Karajan / Berlin Phil - Verdi: Overtures & Preludes
Blondie - Rapture (special disco mix)
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index