28 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Apr 20, 2015, 13:50
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 April 2015 CE
Apr 20, 2015, 12:13
A.L. Lloyd - Leviathan. Whaling songs... There is a potentially great TV or movie gag about a misunderstanding about the difference between "Whale Song" and "Whaling Songs"... Love this. Genuinely "out of time", challenging and mysterious. The values and goals of the whalers preserved in song (that are alien, at least to me). There also remains an admiration and compassion for their prey that is beyond modern comprehension.

Bert Jansch - Birthday Blues. Any album with Poison (awesome Duffy Power harmonica) and A Woman Like You is a classic anyway. The rest of it holds up pretty well...

Blanck Mass - Dumb Flesh. - Big sound. Fuck Buttons related. Quality. Cites Carl Sagan... Thus on the side of Angels.

Bo Diddley - His Best... Is better then most. Liner notes claims that I'm A Man (Yeah! - in the best versions the "Yeah" is quite important) is a Diddley song that Muddy Waters covered... Reversing the Polarity indeed.

C.O.B. - Both albums. Fantastic.

Chris Forsyth & the Solar Motel Band - Intensity Ghost. Any lovers of Crazy Horse, Wishbone Ash, even Thin Lizzy (dual guitar period), should check this out. Good modern twin guitar rocking.

Eathless - Sonic Prayer. Nothing objective to say. Available for under £2. You really should have it already.

And loads of other stuff beyond "E" that I intend to add later...

Later.

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone. Perfect in conception and creation. Everything you would pray for - from band name to album title. Tried to like later Electric Wizard efforts but I suspect they tip over a mysterious line demarking quality and just headache inducing noise.

English Heritage - A Study Of Lunar Research Flights, The Underworld Service. Hmmm. Sang the praises of this in the past, but... Isn't it awfully adolescent? I can see the UFO and ghost books on the bookshelves over the single bed. A complete set of The Strange World of Arthur C. Clarke - in the binders you had to send away for. If in America I would strongly recommend he was kept away from assault rifles... Fallen out of love with Hauntology (or whatever it's called). A genre to forgive an inability with either music, melody or lyrics. Like choosing an imaginary Dik Mik solo album over Space Ritual. Interesting noises. So what?

Hawkwind - All the late seventies Bob Calvert albums. Sigh.

The Coral - Magic and Medicine, Roots and Echoes, The Coral. Fuck knows why.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index