Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Form an orderly queue - here we go again...

22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
veneta1
223 posts

Re: Form an orderly queue - here we go again...
Mar 13, 2015, 12:48
Fitter Stoke wrote:
http://recordstoreday.co.uk/events/rsd-2015/

Then again, you could always visit your local indie record shop at any other time of the year and buy something you really want instead. Leave the endless queues, overpriced one-offs, avarice and unpleasantness to the eBay exploiters with no interest in music, and stay at home on the day. Most of the releases will still be in the racks for weeks afterwards anyway, if previous years are anything to go by. And there'll be very little genuinely new music on offer, just variants on what we've already got.

A record store is for life, not just for April 18. I love (most) independent record shops, but I despise Record Store Day.

Can I say that it wouldn't be possible for me to agree with you more.

Over the last few years I've developed a pavlovian, knee-jerk reaction towards RSD and go out of my way to avoid it like the plague. And this comes from someone who spends far too much time in independent record shops.

However, without wishing to play devil's advocate, perhaps we, as music fans and customers, are missing the point of RSD and, perhaps, the clue is in the title.

It's called 'Record Store' day, it's not called 'Record Buyer' day. This is a day that is designed for indie record shops to amass as much revenue as possible within the space of one day and, in providing a platform for this, it does it admirably. We, as punters however, get right royally shafted in the process, paying over the odds for stuff that you'll still be able to find in the racks years later. I wonder how many record shops still have copies of the Goat remix 12"s from a couple of years ago.

Ask anyone who runs a record store what they think of RSD and they will tell you that it's the best thing since sliced bread. True music fans and supporters of independent record shops for the other 364 days of the year, however, are becoming more and more disillusioned with the whole idea.

Yes, there are a couple of things being released on RSD that I fancy having but I'll see if they're still available after RSD, and if I miss them I miss them. I'll survive.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index