Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Where'd Big Naturals go? And Anthroprophh...

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Where'd Big Naturals go? And Anthroprophh...
Mar 05, 2015, 05:55
Anyone know what's happened to Big Naturals? I just went to finally buy their album as a download on bandcamp, and their page there is empty - likewise, their greasytrucker.com label webpage is also kaput.
On related lines, I was surprised to see Anthroprophh got another album out (UFO) since last year's Outside the Circle, but confused that a) it's already sold out as a physical LP, b) they left Rocket Recordings for some reason (why? I thought they treated their artists well), and the bandcamp page for their new label Cardinal Fuzz only has one track for this album to listen to, and not to buy or download (either for that one track, or the whole album). Weird! It's like they don't want more than a few hundred people to hear the new album legally (ie people will now be driven to find a free download somewhere, when they could just get best of both worlds and sell the album as a download).
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Where'd Big Naturals go? And Anthroprophh...
Mar 05, 2015, 08:00
I'm not sure what the deal is with Cardinal Fuzz but it seems that most things they release are limited pressings. Also don't think deals are exclusive so you may find further releases on Rocket. I think I've missed the lp you refer to, one of the first things I have done at least cdwise.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Mar 05, 2015, 08:07
Probably got something to do with that new download tax, right?
Mr Sals
162 posts

Mar 05, 2015, 10:57
The Heads are artists in residence at Roadburn this year and Anthroprophh are playing as part of it. As far as i know Big Naturals are still backing him.

http://www.roadburn.com/tag/the-heads/
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 05, 2015, 13:14
Much like The Heads, Anthroprophh seem to release the ocaisional short-run album/CD-R. The recent UFO album was one of those. Its fun actually - very weird and off the wall - which I suspect it is why they didn't choose to do a full blown release of it. I got a copy of the CD off Paul Allen on Facebook - you could try that route if you want one, although I don't know if he still has any.

As Stevo said, Cardinal Fuzz releases tend to be quite short run, although that may change if they are selling bucket loads, I guess.

As for them "leaving" Rocket, I don't think that is the case. A lot of bands these days put out releases on numerous small labels in the absence of a huge big money contract like they used to do in the old days!
jazzer
123 posts

Mar 05, 2015, 21:59
Big Naturals are playing The Exchange Bristol this Saturday with Consumer Electronics.
LunarTunes
107 posts

Mar 06, 2015, 07:05
The "new" Anthroprophh was a very limited cassette on ZamZam Recs first:

https://zamzamrec.bandcamp.com/album/--3

It came out around the same time as OUTSIDE THE CIRCLE and I don't think it is any indication that they're not still with Rocket Recordings...

Then, as mentioned above, you could order it directly from Paul Allen as a CD-R (which is how I got it as well). And then it came out on vinyl from Cardinal Fuzz. It's still available from Captcha Records in California (although they posted on Facebook recently that not many are left):

https://captcharecords.bandcamp.com/album/u-f-o

As for Greasy Truckers, they still have their page on Facebook. On February 25, they posted that they were thinking of doing shirts. So I think they're still a going concern...

And Anthroprophh have gigs coming up this month so I think everything is as it was...

That's all I got...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 06, 2015, 14:24
Sounds about right :)
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Mar 13, 2015, 04:10
I dunno, haven't heard about that! Is that a UK thing or worldwide?
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Mar 13, 2015, 04:11
Thanks for the explanation. I did manage to find a download, naughty me... Still curious why Big Naturals took all their stuff down from the web though!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index