Joy Division and the uncanny in music

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Re: Joy Division and the uncanny in music
Mar 17, 2015, 21:41
Good call!. Funnily enough, I was thinking the same thinking a day or two ago. I was 14 when that came out, it was probably my 'gateway drug' to all things strange music wise.

Perhaps more uncanny, it got to number 2 in the pop charts here in the UK.
Dunno if people viewed it as a novelty record, or were actually drawn to it's minimalist strangeness, but I really can't imagine anything so 'outre' getting so high in any kinda chart these days.
Musta been something in the water back then.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6217 posts

Mar 17, 2015, 23:22
Has someone mentioned Ghosts? Another weird UK top 5 single.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 18, 2015, 02:23
Exactly.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Mar 18, 2015, 17:32
Also, Night Porter must be the one of the most depressing singles to chart,, ever.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6217 posts

Mar 18, 2015, 18:04
My favourite track of theirs :)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Mar 18, 2015, 21:16
I loved Japan when they were around, I know they were seen as a low rent Roxy, but I liked them better than Roxy. After they broke up, I kinda fell out of love with them for some reason, then about 10 years ago, I started buying up their albums again and fell in love all over again.

Mind you, I'd kept abreast of David Sylvian's career, and enjoyed a lot of his stuff. Then 'Secrets of the Beehive' came out almost alongside 'Plight and Premonition' both records absolutely blew me away (as well as soundtracking a rather brief but intense love affair. Was like being in the movie Performance or something, but without the rock star chic-ery).
Ahh, youth, where did it go!
Still got a massive soft spot fer ole' Dave, even though he's always just on the edge of disappearing up his own hole a lot of the time.

Another odd single/album from the same year as 'Ghosts' was 'Flowers of Romance' by PiL. Still adore the other worldly strangeness that record, it was totally unlike anything else in the charts at the time, and set off my love affair with PiL (well up to the 'album,' cassette' 'CD' or whatever format your 'white/blue stripe album got called).
On the single, John's vocals and their weird plaintive wailing, the insistent and sinister John Cale-sque eastern tinged violin drone/refrain, A bizarre sax solo which John allegedly played (even tho he couldn#'t play it) and the simple Mo Tucker/ cardboard box tribal drums. The cover is to die for as well, Lydon staring into some weird gothy oval spider be-webbed mirror, all in super saturated colour. Still think it's my fav' Lydon photo. I developed a mad crush on Jeanette Lee, the super cute lady on the LP cover (probably why I always had the hots for goth girls back then :)

Here's a great Seth Man HH review of the 'Flowers' album...spot on.
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/public-image-limited-the-flowers-of-romance

And who could forget the legendary TOTP appearance for the Flowers single... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E_0bBGjL70
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2015, 09:46
Mar 20, 2015, 09:45
Much Bunnymen talk, which is refreshing!.'Crocodiles' is one hell of an album which shaped my youth. My second attended gig at 13 years old was around the era of 'Heaven Up Here', which is an amazing thing too.

Anyway, for any glad old fools.

Echo & The Bunnymen - Peel Session 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFbyXurUClA
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2015, 10:02
Mar 20, 2015, 10:00
I finally got round to watching this, last night. Lovely.

I was at college, up in Chesterfield 1978 - 81. Being inspired by the whole postpunk thing that was around we saw a lot of the northern bands of the time. I hadn't realised Paul Morley was in The Negatives, as I did see them! Sadly I missed out on Joy Division, despite knowing there and then that they were a very special phenomenon. And I did have plenty of opportunities. I did later catch New Order, at least.

Just remembered, I've a Joy Division promo flexidisc, that the guy from our local record shop gave me.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2015, 10:22
Mar 20, 2015, 10:14
Kid Calamity wrote:
I finally got round to watching this, last night. Lovely.

I was at college, up in Chesterfield 1978 - 81. Being inspired by the whole postpunk thing that was around we saw a lot of the northern bands of the time. I hadn't realised Paul Morley was in The Negatives, as I did see them! Sadly I missed out on Joy Division, despite knowing there and then that they were a very special phenomenon. And I did have plenty of opportunities. I did later catch New Order, at least.

Just remembered, I've a Joy Division promo flexidisc, that the guy from our local record shop gave me.

Komakino?

http://www.discogs.com/Joy-Division-Komakino/release/185044

Keep it! I have that too. I still have Ceremony on 45. Absolute treasures and Unknown Pleasures!
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Mar 20, 2015, 10:36
Yeah, that's the one. I did have two copies, originally. I think I gave one to a friend, though.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index