Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 February 2015 CE

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 February 2015 CE
Mar 01, 2015, 15:48
IanB wrote:

Felix Martin - The Scenic Album (madness, sheer madnees - thanks Moonie)

I thought you might enjoy it. Some of it reminds me of the 80's King Crimson stuff, though perhaps more unhinged! There's a fair amount of melody lurking in the multi-string. polyrhythmic madness.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 15:54
The Power Out has a few good tracks, but it's far from their best release. Just not as consistent as their other albums. Hell, even the B-sides comp hangs together better. Think it's all that choiry stuff that kills it for me. I realise they were trying something different for themselves, but, much like Johhny Depp's film choices, it's all a bit questionable an should have been left in the 'ideas' can.

I'll stick it back on the shelf and have a listen again next year ;)

For me, Kinski albums are the same. When they are great, they really hit the spot, but some choices leave me with a wtf you do that for! feeling too.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 16:10
Lawrence wrote:
Actually an older friend just handed me down an extra copy of the Justin Hayward/John Lodge album Blue Jays that he had... Very good album and funny that you've mentioned the Moody Blues... I've got tickets to see them next month -- it's supposed to be mostly a show featuring songs from the Polydor years though but it still might be worthwhile.

I'm actually thinking about giving my friend that Wild Swans promo CD I have in return for Blue Jays -- I figured the Wild Swans were as important to my life as the Moody Blues were to his anyhow...

Playing all these Moodys albums lately made me wonder if it was time to finally see them live and pleased to see there is a tour coming up. But might wait until they go back to doing the Decca years. Not so interested in their post 70s stuff.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 16:24
Well after I see them I'll let you know how they are. I'm not much into the 80s stuff either but it might be the last chance to see the band live anyways...
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 19:58
The Goner - Behold a New Traveller. A favourite over the last 5 years or so that I keep coming back two. Thought I'd better investigate what he has been up to and discovered...
E-Gone - All the Suns of the Earth. Just brilliant. Wonderful solo album with Daniel Westerlund playing a ton of instruments, covering a range of styles from Goner style folk to electronic drone and catchy up-beat electronica with Grails-esqu guitar etc etc. Last track sounds like it should have been on the last Untied Knot album. And it all blends into one succinct 40 minute listen. Love it.

Machinefabriek - Measures Taken. Electronic score for a ballet.

Sleep Research Facility - Stealth. Have been meaning to get this for years but never got round to it. Excellent ambient drone piece sourced entirely from field recordings of a stealth bomber at a US air base somewhere in the UK. Perfect for a rainy night in!

Troum/Closing the Eternity - Scent of Mires. Split LP inspired by bogs and mires.

Bong - Beyond Ancient Space. Has been back on heavy rotation recently.

Six Organs of Admittance - Hexadic. Unlikely to get as many repeat listens as earlier albums. Composed by chance based on a system developed for a standard deck of playing cards. But has its moments and the complete change in style is welcome - as ever his playing and guitar sounds are great. Check out his website for further explanation - seems he's been criticized in various quarters. As he says the chance approach is not new, but neither is releasing guitar albums...

Kikagaku Moyo - Forest of Lost Children and Mammatus Clouds. Still great.

John Luther Adams - Become Ocean. Orchestral 'drone' piece sounding good on first listens (admittedly only on an MP3 speaker whilst marking but still got a sense of the space and a kind of ebb and surge). Ian described it as an orchestral Odin - makes sense!

Gnod - Chaudelande. The 2 cd version.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 20:18
flashbackcaruso wrote:

The Moody Blues - Octave
The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager

How are finding those? I love the Moodys but have never quite got as far as those albums.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 20:35
Not heard Kinski - is there a recommendation?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 20:39
Evile - Into the Grave / Five Serpents Teeth
Uriah Heep - Into the Wild
Felix Martin - The Scenic Album
DragonForce - The Power Within
Magazine - Where the Power is
Savages - Silence Yourself
Miriam Jones - Between Green & Gone
Magnum - Into The Valley of the Moon King /Vigilante
Ravi Shankar - Three Ragas
Karma to Burn - Arch Stanton
Dead Daisies - st
The Winery Dogs - st
Adam & The Ants -Kings of the Wild Frontier (farewell cassette that got mangled!)
Gum Takes Tooth - Mirror Fold
Sun Dial - Acid Yantra

Have a nice week x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Edited Mar 01, 2015, 20:42
Mar 01, 2015, 20:41
Alasdair Roberts - S/T
Dan, my mate in Record Corner, described this as "not as glum as the last one". Not a great sales pitch. I like it though, nice album.

Rush - Exit...Stage Left

Donovan - A Gift From a Flower to a Garden
Thanks to whoever it was in the psychedelic thread that recommended this, I love it :)

Mother Gong - The Owl and the Tree
Khan - Space Shanty
Qa'a - Chi'en

Rick Wakeman - Return to the Centre of the Earth
This is SO good! Patrick Stewart narrates! Ozzy sings! Bonnie Tyler sings! Justin Hayward sings! Rick plays moogs (not often enough actually, but still). Love it.

Anthroprophh - UFO
On first listen this sounds like a cracker! looking forward to exploring this more.

Glowpeople - Happen
Nice sunny jazzy dub vibes! This'll sound splendid on a hot summer's evening.

Vinyl...

Hey Colossus - In Black and Gold
This continues to grow on me. Really great album.

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (3 album edition)
Oh wow. So good, and wonderful packaging too. Just lovely.

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Still can't get over how good this sounds and looks on vinyl. Beautiful.

11 Paranoias - Stealing Fire From Heaven
The heaviest, rockingest, nastiest album of the year so far. Gorgeous gatefold, lovely plum vinyl, fantastic sounds. Buy it.
keith a
9574 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 22:09
LP’s
That’s Why God Made The Radio – Beach Boys
Trip Advizer – Julian Cope
The Light User Syndrome – The Fall
What’s This For – Killing Joke
Kongos – John Kongos
Blue – Joni Mitchell
Everything Is Wrong - Moby