Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 31 January 2015 CE
Feb 02, 2015, 16:16
Fatalist wrote:
New(ish) stuff:

Suuns – Images Du Futur. Suuns had some nerve playing the Liverpool Psych Fest last year, being as it was in the home town of Clinic, who would’ve been within their rights to give them a bloody good kicking for not only nicking their sound, but seriously improving on it. This is a great album, but their wholesale pilfering of Clinic’s vibe is at times quite something. Brilliant (and not completely Clinic-esque) track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VQeJX86Rb8

Add (N) to X – Avant Hard. I think that over the years, this has become one of my favourite albums.

Been a big fan of Suuns since the early (free) DL 'Zeroes EP' and album Zeroes QC. I've often wondered why Clinic haven't dragged them over hot coals for their blatant pilfering of their sound, hell even the singer has the plaintive vocal liltings off to a T. Know what you mean about building on Clinics sound as well. I do love Clinic, but bar the first album and EP/Songs collection, they have been ploughing the same furrow for some time. Suuns seem to take their sound and run with it, bringing out those latent kraut vibes and adding a tad more electronic yummyness. Here's hoping Suuns release a newbie this year, they're long overdue a new LP.

These Images Du Future remixes ain't bad either.
https://soundcloud.com/turborecordings/sets/suuns-images-du-futur-remixes

That Add (N) to X album is deffo one of my top ten albums ever. Think they had reached the pinnacle of their game with that record. Kinda wish those involved would bury whatever hatchet they have and reform with some new sinewavage. As often is the case, upon separation, non of the parties involved have gone onto anything as great (though the Large Numbers album was just about OK). Guess they developed a special chemistry even amongst all the animosity.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index