18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 02, 2015, 14:11
Re: Kraftwerk doc tonight
Feb 02, 2015, 10:04
I really enjoyed it. Too much contemporary live footage for my taste and not enough about how they did it but it was great to see Derrick May (kudos for saying that a lot of techno is crap and that Kraftwerk don't deserve to be lumped in) and François Kevorkian rather than the current trend for a carrousel of talking heads featuring Stuart Maconie, Viv Albertine, Kate Mossman, St Vincent, Richard Hawley et al.

I can see why Morley was included as he and Penman were among the very few writers on the music press who extolled the virtues of Kraftwerk in the face of the more grubby, Gothy and less slick end of the C81 stuff. Just as Danny Baker was one of the very few to explain why Michael Jackson mattered. Morley was also one of the first people to spot the greatness of the post-Hansa Japan and the post-Arista Simple Minds - both bands heavily influenced by early German electonica at that time. So I think some credit is due. Yes he's a pretentious pillock but there's something to be said for over reaching otherwise all you get is something akin to the documentaries where, as Stewart Lee says “for a fee, Stuart Maconie can recall any aspect of human experience”.

The person who was annoying, simply because he simply didn't seem to have a strong factual grasp on his subject was Neville Brody.

Clearly no one was going to own up to recalling having seen the cover of Traffic's "On The Road" either ;-)

Unsung Forum Index