Jan 31, 2015, 08:56
Thames for the heads up. Twas good
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Kraftwerk doc tonight
Jan 31, 2015, 09:56
Yeah, thanks for the gee up.

I thought it was disappointing. Like all such docs these days, there was too much verbal posturing by annoying talking heads that have nothing to do with the subject (Paul Morley - fuck right off!) at the expense of some intriguing archive footage. I get so tired at having to look at so-called experts filmed at 45 degrees spouting their shite opinions.

But it did send me back to the records, so it worked in that respect. Rad-i-o...act-iv-it-ee!
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jan 31, 2015, 10:29
I thought it was good in parts... just seeing a recent interview with Holger and that footage of Kraftwerk and Can playing at Unna '70, which I subsequently tracked down on youtube, meant it was off to a very good start, put a grin on my face. I, likewise, was not so sure about some of the other talking heads. Interviews with more practitioners of electronic music, for example the supremely lucid Eno, would have been good. I loved the footage of the Detroit gig showing the audience interaction. Coldplay will a l w a y s rile. Would I watch it again? Yes, absolutely.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2015, 14:17
Jan 31, 2015, 13:57
Yeah, thanks for the heads-up, Spencer, watched it after the excellent last part of Neil Brand's Sound of Song, which also featured Kraftwerk - he started the programme playing the main melody to Autobahn on the piano prior to a decent analysis of the song itself, which was a nice touch. Also featured extended interviews with Public Enemy producer Hank Shocklee, Rick Wakeman (why was the Moog so great? Because he could play louder than Steve Howe) and Steve Albini (whose fitter chic look these days never fails to amuse, wise as his words are). Genuinely interesting, and well worth a watch:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b050rbz8/sound-of-song-3-mix-it-up-and-start-again

Liked the Kraftwerk doc, but agree there was way too much Morley and that Kevorkian bloke, who just kept repeating himself. I'm sure they could have found some other talking heads, for instance, Albini (who covered The Model in Big Black) would have given a different perspective I'm sure. Fantastic vintage footage though, particularly the early 80s stuff - such a brilliantly stylised look and performance (Pocket Calculator live was amazing!).
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jan 31, 2015, 16:25
Sound of Song's been better than I expected - saw all three. Wakeman recounting and demoing how he used to wind the others up by making Clangers noises on his Moog was very silly. The Pocket Calculator footage was great., what I meant. Agreed about Albini.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 31, 2015, 20:02
I enjoyed it in parts, but why the Morley overdose? Surely they could've got other people to rhapsodise about Kraftwerk. Not saying he shouldn't have been there. Just not in such large, increasingly guff n hot air filled doses. Even he looked like he was just saying things to fill up air time, the wheels in his brain turning to pull something really Paul Morleyish out of his head that could be strung together with the word 'Kraftwerk' in them.

Also, it reminded me of one of my bug-bears with Morley. If he doesn't like or 'get' something, he seems to think no one else should either - like he's an arbiter of taste, rather than a critic.

Still, nice Kraftwerk footage in all the pontificating.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 31, 2015, 20:03
Saw the first two and enjoyed them. Episode 3 on the to do list.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Jan 31, 2015, 20:28
Enjoyed it on the whole, as has already been said, not sure about the choice of yapping noggins, but was nice to see some footage of a gig I couldn't get tickets to. Caught it on iPlayer last night then dragged my eldest to watch it again this morning on replay, as she's a big electronic music fan like myself. Also spent a pleasant afternoon digging out the record deck and spinning my rather tired and scratched Kraftwerk LP's with her (she was a little down in the dumps about a few things). She was blown away (as was I) by the degree of stereo separation in the sound, especially on the Computer World LP (only had a Dansette as a kid, probably last time I played the vinyl over the CD's). Despite the numerous clicks and pops, the tracks Numbers and Computer World 2 and the segue between still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. They really are a great example of less is more, they manage to do so much with so little in sound terms.

Not really a fan of much of the later remix work, it seems to be too beholden to dance music (and house music in particular), would be interesting if they got some peeps from differing musical backgrounds to have a go if they want to go down that path. I think someone like Liars would have a field day in that respect.

Was lucky enough to see them at Birmingham Hummingbird back in the late 80's/ early 90's (don't remember exactly). They had those hand held triggers then, and happily handed them out to the crowd for us to poke and prod. Would have been about the time of the The Mix LP I guess?. Great gig, though as I said, much prefer 'the originals' to the remixes.

Just poking about the web and found the setlist for Brum, was a great, if stiflingly hot night I seem to recall.

http://www.last.fm/music/Kraftwerk/1991-07-15:+Traffic+Jam+on+Autobahn:+Hummingbird,+Birmingham,+UK

And indeed a lossless DL of the bootleg (soundboard copy). Woohoo! (Uploadable and Turbobit work, big file though).

http://www.lairsofthedragon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1988589
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index