Kraftwerk doc tonight

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Kraftwerk doc tonight
Jan 31, 2015, 20:28
Enjoyed it on the whole, as has already been said, not sure about the choice of yapping noggins, but was nice to see some footage of a gig I couldn't get tickets to. Caught it on iPlayer last night then dragged my eldest to watch it again this morning on replay, as she's a big electronic music fan like myself. Also spent a pleasant afternoon digging out the record deck and spinning my rather tired and scratched Kraftwerk LP's with her (she was a little down in the dumps about a few things). She was blown away (as was I) by the degree of stereo separation in the sound, especially on the Computer World LP (only had a Dansette as a kid, probably last time I played the vinyl over the CD's). Despite the numerous clicks and pops, the tracks Numbers and Computer World 2 and the segue between still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. They really are a great example of less is more, they manage to do so much with so little in sound terms.

Not really a fan of much of the later remix work, it seems to be too beholden to dance music (and house music in particular), would be interesting if they got some peeps from differing musical backgrounds to have a go if they want to go down that path. I think someone like Liars would have a field day in that respect.

Was lucky enough to see them at Birmingham Hummingbird back in the late 80's/ early 90's (don't remember exactly). They had those hand held triggers then, and happily handed them out to the crowd for us to poke and prod. Would have been about the time of the The Mix LP I guess?. Great gig, though as I said, much prefer 'the originals' to the remixes.

Just poking about the web and found the setlist for Brum, was a great, if stiflingly hot night I seem to recall.

http://www.last.fm/music/Kraftwerk/1991-07-15:+Traffic+Jam+on+Autobahn:+Hummingbird,+Birmingham,+UK

And indeed a lossless DL of the bootleg (soundboard copy). Woohoo! (Uploadable and Turbobit work, big file though).

http://www.lairsofthedragon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1988589

Unsung Forum Index