Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2015, 16:19
Good psychedelic rock list site
Jan 25, 2015, 12:19
Sorry, can't make link work from m'smartphone, but do a search for 'album of the year.org best psychedelic rock albums', or, on google, 'best psychedelic rock albums of 2014 - album of the year' Has lists of what the compilers, whoever they are, think are the best psychedelic rock albums of all time and also for each year, from present. Reckon on the money for the most part, also some intriguing stuff I hadn't heard of, eg Jap. The website covers a lot of other genres too, have'nt checked out yet, but...not bad I reckon. Sorry if this is old hat to some here ~~~~~~~~~EDIT: see Stevo's second reply below for 'best of all time' link, thence year on year ones.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Good psychedelic rock list site
Jan 25, 2015, 12:59
thanks for that but I'm not 100% on that 'of All Time' list. Not really sure about Pet Sounds as a psychedelic lp anyway. It is a really great lp from the psychedelic era but as to greatest psychedelic lp ever would think it was way behind a lot of other records. Also L.A. Woman being above the 1st 2 Doors lps when they actually were more of a psychedelic band seems a bit strange. Seems to be great lp by a one time psychedelic band is being equated to great psychedelic lp. Not really sure.
& I can think of better psychedelic lps than a number of the modern ones listed there. Tame Impalas lps are pretty good but there are far better psychedelic lps than them.

I would have thought that there would be a load of 60s & 70s stuff at the top of the list, haven't seen how long that list is. Seem to be only a handful from the actual psychedelic era.
Does make me want to check out a number of things taht I don't have anyway.

Stevo
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2015, 14:31
Jan 25, 2015, 14:06
Yeah, I share your opinion of the 'all time' bit, but the year on year stuff's well worth a look. Btw if you could put up the proper link for peeps it'd be good, cos I cant.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Good psychedelic rock list site -URl
Jan 25, 2015, 14:36
http://www.albumoftheyear.org/genre/30-psychedelic-rock/all/
is the all time list
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Re: Good psychedelic rock list site -URl
Jan 25, 2015, 16:13
Ta, clicked..as the saying goes, 'it works for me'...had another look at 'all time' and, blush, some there I haven't heard a peep of - no 'puter, everything on tariff: I'm not as 'well listened' as a fair few folk here, everything has its price. Meh.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 25, 2015, 20:01
definitely some titles to hunt down there, ta. They like Dungen, don't they?Don't mind em ...
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 26, 2015, 00:12
Album Of The Year is quite a useful site in that it collates all of the end of year polls in one place. However, the reason for the skewedness of the 'all time' results is that it only goes back to 2003, which is why the psych list for instance doesn't actually feature much from the 60s/70s (and that which is there is probably based on recentish reviews of reissues)

Rate Your Music is perhaps the best place to go for crowd-sourced 'all time' and yearly charts eg. http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=psychedelic+rock&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Jan 26, 2015, 00:17
Jan 26, 2015, 00:17
A particularly good list comes up if you search for 'Heavy Psych':
http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=0&genres=heavy+psych&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 26, 2015, 02:15
Jan 26, 2015, 01:20
Lists are all rather subjective aren't they? Personally, Hawkwind, early Pink Floyd, Barrett, Loop, Spacemen 3, Captain Beefheart, The 13th Floor Elevators. Jimi, Butthole Surfers and our very own Julian should be included. But hey, does it really matter?
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Jan 26, 2015, 01:49
I saw Embrace, who would get slaughtered here and in this chart, towards the end of last year and thought they were brilliant.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index