Good psychedelic rock list site

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Good psychedelic rock list site
Jan 26, 2015, 08:30
Yeah kind of figured that. Even the annual best ofs aren't that well populated until a few years in. Wasn't psych that popular before '06 or something? I guess it was more underground?
I've been listening to it for 30 odd years so found other routes to it.
I do look at Rateyourmusic quite a bit. Can be good for tracklistings and catalogue order as well as releases but is variable. As is Discogs.

Stevo
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jan 26, 2015, 13:54
yes they are, and no it doesn't! Still personally enjoyed the list and will use it for recommendations as i can tell they have similar tastes to moi
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 26, 2015, 18:09
Stevo wrote:
Yeah kind of figured that. Even the annual best ofs aren't that well populated until a few years in. Wasn't psych that popular before '06 or something? I guess it was more underground?

Stevo

That's an interesting point. You can't move for bands talking about their psych/kraut 'influences' these days, and so they get tagged accordingly. It's the new "there's always been a dance element to our music" that everybody was claiming circa baggy...
espsummer
340 posts

Jan 27, 2015, 06:30
I remember when the british rock magazines really went "list" crazy in the early 2000s. Its always a great way to sell magazines and its funny how the flavor of the month or year always ends up way high in some sort of top list of all time. Perhaps Kula Shaker even rose high on some lists. Nevertheless its nice to see that Love's Forever Changes really has come into being as something that has to be close to the top of many lists. When i feel like i can splurge on something i'm going to have to get the Da Capo and Forever Changes MFSL cds that snuck in under the radar last fall. They really need to do a top dollar MFSL lp reissue of Forever Changes to say the least.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 27, 2015, 08:43
There was a 2cd Love history covering at least the Bryan Mclean era. Came out toward the end of last year. I think at least Johnny Echols approved it.
&talking of him there was a pretty revelatory long interview with him in Ugly Things a few issues back. Very worth getting if you haven't already.
The John Einarson book Forever Changes is also a must read if you like the band. Combining the unfinished memoir Arthur Lee was writing with well researched writing by Einarson. Reads very well too.
There's also Behind The Scenes at the Pegasus Carousel by Michael Stuart Ware for a band member perspective.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jan 27, 2015, 18:16
just been listening to The Warlocks - Rise and Fall which I can heartily recommend. First heard them on the Godshaker compilation i think. As Fatalist has mentioned RYM provides a pretty useful service too, and one i frequently use to find a starting point for bands
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 27, 2015, 19:17
Some very interesting stuff there, isn't there. Will sniff around Warlocks. Agree about RYM, but it seems too advanced most times for my smartphone, and won't load, which is a pisser.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index