RIP Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream)

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

RIP Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream)
Jan 23, 2015, 20:00
Really sad news, Edgar Froese has died suddenly.

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/rip-edgar-froese-founder-of-tangerine-dream
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2015, 20:08
Re: RIP Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream)
Jan 23, 2015, 20:08
That is sad (how often are we saying that these days?). I must dig out that Coventry Cathedral dvd for old times sake.

I remember buying Ricochet when I was 14, purely on the strength of the beautiful cover shot in the print ads, and barely taking it off the record player for weeks after that. Properly cherished album. RIP, and thanks, Edgar.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 23, 2015, 20:41
Truly sad news.

A real pioneer and such a clutch of stunning and influential work.

As I've posted on FB, there's gonna be plenty of folk that skinned up on the gatefold of "Phaedra" toasting his name tonight!

RIP dream bubbler!
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 23, 2015, 21:19
Oh SHIT. Trying to digest this. TD were one of the bands that summed up my teen years, yup, including skinning up on album covers. I never bought anything after the Sorcerer s/t - and flogged that soon after purchase - but those early albums meant and still do mean a lot, and Epsilon's Maroubra Bay (on youtube at mo) will always be one of my very favourite pieces of music. What a cover too. TD gave me some of my favourite '70's gig memories.. lying on the floor of Cambridge Corn Exchange in the dark totally smashed, the Croydon gig where part2 of Ricochet was recorded...shit this one's tripped me up. Thanks dude. Too soon. RIP
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2015, 21:24
Jan 23, 2015, 21:24
Gutted.

One of the people whose music I most admire in the universe. Phaedra and Rubycon shaped my life.

I shall never ever forget seeing them at the Albert Hall in the 70s, with John Peel as compere. Probably still even now the best concert I have ever been to.

RIP Synth Bloke
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2015, 22:26
Jan 23, 2015, 22:25
A total pioneer. I did not appreciate their music until later in life, discovering their 70's output. A proper marathon tonight will be in order. Was looking for copies of Aqua and Epsilon, will have to track those down.
andreas
369 posts

Jan 23, 2015, 22:51
One of my first concerts ever in the 70's (Erlangen Stadthalle, Germany). I flogged too many of my vinyls but never ever my Tangerine Dream's up to Stratosfear.

RIP Herr Froese
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2015, 23:17
Jan 23, 2015, 23:12
They are both on the Solo ( I974-1983) - The Virgin Years boxset - ridiculously cheap, totally necessary. Sadly I'm going to be playing this a lot over the next few days
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Jan 23, 2015, 23:35
Really sad news. A true original whose absolute impact on electronic music can never be overstated. RIP.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 23, 2015, 23:51
Every home should have a copy of Epsilon.

A true great.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index