21 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Steve Albini on the surprisingly sturdy state of the music industry
Nov 22, 2014, 21:29
Cheers for sticking that up AQ.

Finally had the time to sit quietly and read/digest the whole piece.

I gotta say, I'm with Albini 100%. The way he spoke/wrote was informative and eridite, as always. Never worked in the music industry (other than in record shops way back, and yeah, industry reps used to flood us with commercial shit cos we had a gallup machine, even though it was an 'underground' shop).

I've never had a record released let alone recorded, I was in quite a few noise bands as a kid that really got nowhere and petered out because of lack of outlet, gigs or money to record decent demo's (probably an oxymoron for a noise band, but hey, we were young, we believed the shit we were told by the older muso's).

I think it's great that now that should I wish, I could spend a few hundred bucks on musical/recording equipment, or even nothing as there is so much freeware out there, and put my recordings up for all the world to hear should they wish.

Making money out of it might be a more difficult prospect, but hell, I've spent more on music in the last few years than at about any time in my life, be it a pound or two for a bandcamp release, or a bit more on superb vinyl from quality boutique vendors like Cardinal Fuzz or Sacred Bones (who I hope both make enough from their respective labours of love, as wanky re-sellers seem to bang them up on the bay of E for three or four times they're initial cost instantly, not in the spirit, wankers! but hey, free market and all that I get it). Saw more gigs in the last two years than at any time since my twenties (OK, the kids have grown up now, but hell, they come along usually anyhow). So yeah I gotta agree that the non corporate model can work on a smaller scale. OK if you aspire to Led Zep style millions, you're in the wrong game these days, but if you wanna make shit pop music and sell your soul to the right guys, I'm sure it's possible. (What would be the Robert Johnston crossroads equivilient these days? Not sure i know, a trip down to the local server?).

Music is as healthy if not in a healthier state than it has been for a long time. Just look in any weekend suppliment and it's crammed with gigs and festy's. And as for communing with your given main squeeze(musically speaking) how great is that?. NOt something I'm prone to do but if I were a younger fan I don't think there has ever been a better time to be a fan of smaller bands, hell some of these guys can even become your mates. My nipper is a big fan of some Busted-esque band called The Vamps, they 'chat' and text shit most days, seem to have a laugh about a lot of stuff. Seem like nice guys.

And let's be honest, forums like this are a godsend to the real music freak. Like minded peeps turning you onto your next 3 month obsession is a wonderful thing. And long may it continue. Back in the day, there were maybe 20 people who were into similar stuff to me,we relied a LOT on fanzines and music rags to get our latest fix of whoever. The amount of peeps I can chat to about music that has trebeled if not more over the years, it's a great inspiration that so many heads are out there and willing to share their passion, I love it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index