Bespoke music - suits you...

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Oct 23, 2014, 01:47
Bespoke music - suits you...
Oct 23, 2014, 01:32
After posting the VU post, thought I'd share what I do with my some of my cd collection.
... producing my own versions of existing CDs for personal benefit. Does anyone else do this?
Most music which really touches you you often think is still 99% perfect and often just needs that extra tweek and sometimes a complete service for personal benefit. As there isn't bespoke online services yet that can twinge existing songs to your own specifications (like if you're planning a new kitchen), I've decided to use my editing software to create new and better tracks/ albums for my ears for my personal listening experience. Some examples....
Buzzcocks - 'I believe' is now an extra ten minutes long. A simple revision.
Beach Boys - 'Till I Die' now expanded to include birdsong and sound effects
Smiths first album - mixed into mono and sharpened.

I found that all this can be applied live when listening to music too. If there is a particular section of a song which releases endorphins, then apply a loop and listen forever. I know someone who listened repeatedly to Nick Drakes River Man for a few hours. Not sure what effect that had though!

Should music be sacred? With the technology we have - can't we just cut it up and remould it to our own benefits?
Is it better making compilations from bits of tracks instead of complete tracks - the bits that thrill you - joining stuff together from various bands/ artists.
Maybe just condense the most intense listening experience sections of tracks down to a few CDs and get rid of originals and whole collection?

8)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Bespoke music - suits you...
Oct 23, 2014, 01:43
I once spent an afternoon making lock-grooves out of random interesting moments from my favourite songs. They were usually between 0.2 and 10 seconds, and they had a pretty far-out effect on the consciousness after being stretched out to half an hour or so; but still, somehow, they retained some essence of the original songs. No idea what ever became of them.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Oct 23, 2014, 01:49
Great.
I think it's the way forward.
Very Ballard
:-)
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Oct 23, 2014, 05:09
I like where you are going with that. I would be curious to have a listen.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 23, 2014, 09:20
Interesting idea! Mind you, I have trouble enough finding time to work on my own music and listen to all the great new stuff out there, without refining existing favourites!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Edited Oct 23, 2014, 11:29
Oct 23, 2014, 11:27
Cool Idea.

Once played the intro to the Stooges 'Loose' for an hour or more. That put me in a strange place. Ditto the guitar loop from HAST.Co track 'Kinetic', which is a gorgeous but simple refain that lends itself to looping wonderfully.

Used to do something similar with my minidiscs recorders. In 'edit' mode, you could 'loop' a particular section ad infinitum, and if you had two or more MD recorders through a mixer and FX box, you could make whole new and interesting tracks from a variety of differing records/mediums.
Plus, there was also a very useful tool in the 'edit' section where you could re-organise a whole song by moving 'samples/parts' of a recording to other sections in the same song in random order to make some proper head fuckery.

Always thought MD's were an unused 'musical' tool in that respect. Still got all my MD's that I picked up cheap on eBay when everyone went ape for the ipod or whatever MP3 player was cool at the time. With enough time and effort, I guess you could build up a small orchestra of MD' playing loops and samples and FX through a bg enough mixer. And the beauty is, you don't have to be a musician at all, more of a happenstance composer.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 23, 2014, 15:26
An interesting and creative idea but also with the potential to drive one into some sort of edit-re edit infinity loop of insanity as the quest for the perfect moment from thousands of recordings takes hold 8^)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 23, 2014, 15:39
Monganaut wrote:

I guess you could build up a small orchestra of MD' playing loops and samples and FX through a bg enough mixer.

There's an idea for next year's Supernormal fest :)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Oct 23, 2014, 16:15
Cool, MD jiggery pokery....It's the new punk don't you know:)

Must admit, I'm no great shakes as a muso, can manage a bit of inept bass/drums/guitar/keyboards etc... but my experiments with 4 MD'd loops and a couple of FX units were more hit than miss, esp when you use it to build drones and subtle beats of varying overlapping lengths (plus, if you get to know your gear setups and menus, edit's on the fly become quite easy).
And, if you edit the 'samples' to fit the tune (i.e with fade Ins and outs) the whole affair can sound very smooth.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Oct 23, 2014, 16:17
Wasn't the DJ Shadow 'Endroducing' album a bit like that? Seem to recall a webshite somewhere that listed all the source material for that album, think it ran into 100's of snippets and other bits and bobs in the end.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index