Rare Tokyo Kid Brothers LP online

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Rare Tokyo Kid Brothers LP online
Aug 11, 2016, 15:52
Terayama's involvement with anything will add intensity. Been reading his dark little fairy tales and English translations of some of his plays recently, and the man had more dimensions than even I realised.

That Throw Away the Books soundtrack played over some pretty heavy scenes in the movie, especially in the second half. It probably has the most vividly realised scene of male rape in Terayama's oeuvre (it seemed like almost everything he shot had a scene of an adolescent boy being overpowered by an older succubus of some kind). Saiyuki's loosely based on the Monkey/Journey to the West mythos, which is a pretty light and uplifting story, so I guess the music reflected that. Incidentally, an illustrated kids version of Monkey was the first book I ever remember reading after we broke down outside a book shop and I hassled my mother to buy it so I could have something to do while we waited for the AA van to arrive. There are precious few instances of dark guitar wizardry, which must be the biggest disappointment to Seazer fans, but I really enjoy it for what it is. It sounds so...young to me, but that might have something to do with the baby bawling over the first couple of tracks. Plus I've always had a weird fetish for pop songs transplanted from their usual climate into fractured, lo-fi, avant settings, and there are quite a few straight-ahead catchy songs on that record, which isn't necessarily something that can be said for Golden Bat. I'd imagine it'll be a much more pleasant listen taken on its own terms, without expecting a lost dark psyche gem. Guess they just got happier, which may be a shame for us devotees of dark musical magi, but the other side of the Janus head deserves its turn in the spotlight every now and then, too. Anyway, end of thread hijack. Will chime in with my thoughts on Return of Golden Bat later maybe.

By the way, you heard this live J.A. Ceasar album: The End of the World? Sounds intriguing.

Unsung Forum Index