Worst sound mix at a gig?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Worst sound mix at a gig?
Aug 20, 2014, 18:49
Clinic supporting Roky Erickson at the Royal Festival Hall in 2007. Muddy as hell.

Any number of gigs at Hebden Bridge Trades Club back in the bad old days before they got a good PA and a competent, enthusiatic sound engineer.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2014, 19:25
Re: Worst sound mix at a gig?
Aug 20, 2014, 19:18
Probably the best The Fall gig I've been to. It was slated. Actually, all of them were brilliant. The Kelvin Centre, Glasgow stands out. The mix suited The Fall. Supported by The Membranes.

All 3 of us attended!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 20, 2014, 19:40
Any gig at the Scala in Kings Cross prior to around 2008. I'm all in favour of equal opportunities, but it's probably not a good idea to employ a deaf person as sound engineer.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 20, 2014, 20:07
Literally don't notice that kind of thing ever. I used to have a sound engineer friend who'd fuck me off all the time by saying, wherever we went, how terrible the sound is and what he'd do better. It seemed a pretty joyless way of listening to music. I'm certain that he'd prefer to listen to a perfectly projected metronome than an actual passionate performance.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 21, 2014, 03:16
The reformed Bauhaus at a venue I forgot but had poor acoustics generally.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Aug 21, 2014, 04:33
Oliva Tremor Control opening for stereolab, stereolab were fantastic but tremor control sounded like they were playing in a pool full of jello.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Aug 21, 2014, 05:18
Sin Agog wrote:
Literally don't notice that kind of thing ever. I used to have a sound engineer friend who'd fuck me off all the time by saying, wherever we went, how terrible the sound is and what he'd do better. It seemed a pretty joyless way of listening to music. I'm certain that he'd prefer to listen to a perfectly projected metronome than an actual passionate performance.

You would probably hate me too. Guitars are made from wood. Most instruments are. They resonate at different temperatures. I personally like a cold or a temperate environment for music to flow. A lot of thought goes into sound, not just the experience.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2014, 07:59
Aug 21, 2014, 05:58
Showing my age ...

Santana / Journey / Eric Burdon @ Empire Pool 1975/1976 ish. Something wasn't earthed and the bands / crew seemed to care not a jot. Can still hear the hum 40 years later. Though that might be the tinnitus.

The Pretenders @ The Marquee early autumn 1979. Unnecessarily loud and sonically incoherent in a venue that usually made bands sound pretty good. They did look great though.

Psychedelic Furs / Wasted Youth @ Moonlight Club probably summer 1979 but possibly early 1980. Terrible sound, a great wall of dirty noise but on that occasion it didn't seem to matter as that howl seemed to be a big part of their shtick.

Rush @ O2 Arena a couple of years back. In essence a two hour drum solo though I swear there were a couple of other musicians singing and playing guitars out in the car park somewhere.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2014, 08:22
Aug 21, 2014, 08:09
Popel Vooje wrote:
Any gig at the Scala in Kings Cross prior to around 2008. I'm all in favour of equal opportunities, but it's probably not a good idea to employ a deaf person as sound engineer.

I quite like The Scala. It's a nice place. Dinosaur Jr. blew the walls off that place one night. Fucking magic!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Aug 21, 2014, 09:55
IanB wrote:

The Pretenders @ The Marquee early autumn 1979. Unnecessarily loud and sonically incoherent in a venue that usually made bands sound pretty good. They did look great though.

Saw them around that time in Bournemouth, sound was absolutely spot on and a nice change from the wall of amps metal I was generally used to. They did indeed look fantastic especially Chrissie Hynde in a pair of leather trousers.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index